Slim organics? (Freehand-YWET-Panorama)

I’ve yet to find a slim organic that I totally dig in the Freehand-YWET-Panorama full-size slim-width category.

Recs will be appreciated.

I’ve had a Dri-YWET that was too heavy, FHZ that are always fun but unstable and too light, and a Josy-Ann that felt great and floaty but lacked power and stability.

Contenders interesting me are the Freehand One AL (lacking nice color combos and clean caps?), Panorama or Diorama (too hard to get?), or a YWET (too collectible for casual interest?). Those… or what else is interesting (and obtainable) in the full size slim organic category?

5 Likes

If the DRI was too heavy for you I wouldn’t suggest a standard YWET, they don’t play that much lighter in my opinion.

I’d be on the lookout for the new Diorama. As someone who loves the YWET, and I think gets where you are coming from, I’d highly suggest the Panorama and Diorama. The new Aluminum FH1’s are great as well, and maybe it’s just me but the new Plastic FH1’s see to weigh more than the originals, or maybe it’s just I haven’t played a FH1/Z regularly for a while.

8 Likes

Maybe a Doc Pop Bolt 2? Pretty slim and pretty light. Very good yoyo.

4 Likes

This is what I was afraid of :joy: because they’re too hot to find right now (someone PM me otherwise).

I was hoping you’d chime in since you’re a resident YWET connoisseur. Thanks!!

1 Like

Freehand one al, its not THAT slim but its amazing

4 Likes

The prototype versions from recess/static are good imo and seems more possible to acquire than the rest of Anti-yo’s throws if you keep your eye out. I personally throw this the most out of everything I own, but it doesn’t have the power and stability you’re probably wanting. I don’t have a SE version to compare it to, so idk how “heavy” it feels vs. the SE version.

Sudo is insane if you can find yourself one. In my mind, this is probably what would’ve been the equivalent to a bi-metal in 2005. It’s size is more in line with a Bape, not a YWET. I’d say it feels a tad heavy on the string, but from a performance standpoint compared to a parlay, it’s a monster.

The last one plays really well but maybe not slim enough for your requirements is the Retic BOA. The shape is more like an 888, it’s a bit wider than a YWET, but about the same diameter. It’s stable and powerful. Idk what bearing he has in it, but it’s one of the best I’ve seen, and it’s absolutely dead smooth.

5 Likes

Thanks, I’ve been eyeing a Bolt or Bolt 2 for a looong time. Another case where I’m not thrilled on the colors (yeah I’m a bit shallow ;)) but they seem great otherwise.

1 Like

Understood on the colors. They aren’t my very favorite but I love the yoyo. I recommend it, maybe if you see for cheap on the BST.

1 Like

I just love organics so I accept that stability is simply relative :wink: I have been enticed by one of these proto versions available recently…

Also, mentioning power and stability… that kind of hits the nail on the head for why I haven’t quite clicked with this yoyo form quite yet. Not expecting something too powerful or stable, but Peak- or Grail-level would totally satisfy me.

Thanks for the input and other recs!

1 Like

Yep, I think it’s tough to find the balance of stability and float within this shape, but I personally enjoy the trade off. I literally wrote a huge list of throws and their spec’s just to find something close to the YWET that I can actually buy. Big surprise, not much to choose from.

There’s a lot of organic options out there, but not within what our requirements are. I haven’t tried either of these, but they were on my list. Doc Pop Icarus and Duncan Mayhem; maybe up your alley but I can’t speak to them.

GL, gonna keep an eye on this thread to help me find more throws too!

2 Likes

Panorama/Diorama, Jake Bullock Slim Dunk, Doc Pop Bolt 2, PDX-Yo Locus, DocPop Gamer, FTY 138.

Also looking forward to the new MK1xSpiral Sliver that’s coming out soon.

I’m a huge organics fan too, always happy to chat about them!

8 Likes

One that a lot of folks slept on, was the relatively inexpensive YYF Kommune with Higby graphics and machined in the USA, probably find one easily with a BST LF post. These play the lightest in this shape category, compared to the Mowl Highwall and OD Panorama, but a little bigger than and more premium feeling, than a JB Slim Dunk.

I also have mad love for the @DocPop Bolt 2, defiantly the best Hybrid ever. Also a great EDC and it can handle drops with out to much damage and ware.

13 Likes

i just picked up a diorama and im definitely enjoying it. A lot lighter and floatier than I expected and have been playing recently but super fun

2 Likes

I’ve been liking my diorama more than the panorama. Also I really like the rso yweti without side effects. I had a yweti mk2 and didn’t think it was as good. Also a Duncan mg is pretty amazing if you want something close to a freehand but not a freehand.

2 Likes

My Recess Quiz is my favorite pocketable yoyo. I put a center trac in it, recessed the response, and it’s just great for a 1A daily carry. Love that it’s made of steel. The included bearing is also great if you’re into 0A.

4 Likes

These photos are doing some kinda thing to me… I love my Panorama, Bolt 2, JB slim dunk, and FH1AL. I also love my Kapital and LowerKase. Why don’t I have a Kommune yet!?! Shape of the year for 2021 easily for me.

5 Likes

Chiming in to say I love the Slim Dunk, they’re in stock at Jake’s site and even cheaper on the BST.

I really like how the FH1AL plays capless, if aesthetics are dragging you down on it, you could always wipe a plastic cap clean and toss that on. Blank FH caps look great imo.

4 Likes

Be on the lookout for these in the next couple of weeks here at yoyoexpert: Dressel Designs Kanto. I haven’t been talking about it recently because of delays in machining and shipping, but they’ll be here this week. The most performance based slim I’ve ever played while still being organic, light, and fun.

19 Likes

Hurry up and take my money …

5 Likes

I always seem to forget how good looking those bolt 2’s are. Not sure why I don’t have one.

2 Likes