Skateboarding

Does anyone here skate?

5 Likes

I want a off road mountain board. My knees not so much.

5 Likes

Yea! Only cruising these days though :skateboard:

I’m 37 years old and convinced the pavement is getting harder the older I get.

Cruising down the road carving from one side to the other is the best! :call_me_hand: Actually, it’s a similar feeling of joy as throwing the same simple yoyo tricks over and over.

6 Likes

I skate but not everyday like I use to. For 10+years it was my only transportation.

3 Likes

I’ve been skating since 99. I’m much better at skating than yoyo, but now I’m getting old.

3 Likes

I use to skate but like Grendel mentioned my knees are shot at 34 years of age. Couple years back I tried again and just the impact from flatland kills my legs. It was something I was really passionate about It. Still watch skate videos tho.

Funny story a couple months back I was at my local bar and this kid I use to skate with back in the day was in town chilling with Paul Rodriguez. Super chill guy made my friend pay for a round of shots.

1 Like

You’ll still have some left if you keep at it. I’m about to be 37. I used to hit double digit handrails. Now I just try to do more tech and ramps. I’ll never be as good as I once was, but I still do new things sometimes. It never stopped being fun.

2 Likes

Coincidence? Yesterday, I got my first new board in over 20 years. 36 years young and ready to skate again, yo!

9 Likes

Just remember you gotta stretch now lol

6 Likes

Skated my whole childhood. Fell out after high school (graduated ‘05 prob stopped around ‘06 or ‘07)and just tried picking it back up a Year or two ago. Like everyone else said, it’s not as easy as it was but it’s still fun. I can still kick flip and for some reason can heel flip now too. I couldn’t back then. Definitely not doing giant stair sets anymore. Just coast and carve for the most part. Also fun to play flat land skate with the buddies on the rare occasion that we get time.

3 Likes

I did exactly that last year…came across a skateboard on a deals site and impulse ordered it. Hadn’t skated in over 20 years. I only took it out once though. Muscle memory was shockingly on point, so I could do the very basics. My ollie height was really weak, probably because I am not doing anything for the muscles used to jump. But I had fun rolling around and doing shove-its and olllies & frontside 180’s over a manhole cover. I managed to land one sloppy kick-flip, which I wouldn’t have really considered truly landing it back in the day.

I was nervous about pushing my luck because I already have bad knees and joints overall, so I kept it light. But even just that left my knees feeling a bit sketchy for the next day or two, so it kind of scared me off doing it more. But I imagine carefully easing into it would build up the muscle strength to take some stress off the knees. I do feel like street skating poses the risk of so easily getting hurt when you’re older, because pavement. Even light falls or not even falling can take a toll on your joints when you’re older.

I’d love to have a mini-ramp to skate though. I feel like throwing on some pads and skating a mini would be pretty low impact and a ton of fun.

5 Likes

I still skate, but I old-guy skate, meaning I show up at the park at like 8:30am and get in a couple noseslides and no-complies before heading into work. Falling in your 30s ain’t the same as falling in your teens lol.

6 Likes

Skating since ‘97! Not just a cruiser either. Skating better, trick wise, than ever at 32 years old. Not sure how i managed that but… my body hurts more, the less i skate. Keep pushin’ dudes

5 Likes

Like a lot of you here, I’m in my thirties and I just cruise. Sometimes I’ll do a kickflip or smith a low ledge if I’m feeling crazy but my knees, ankles, and hips are much older than my brain :laughing:

2 Likes

I used to skate almost every day before i started uni
here is a video from a few years back when all my mates used to film a buch of skating here in New Zealand

my bit is the last one at around 14 min 20 sec but the whole vid is a great watch if ya got the time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I watched your part. I’m impressed. Very cool.

2 Likes

Thank you! these videos bring back some of my favorite memories :joy:

1 Like

Been skating nearly every day for the past 30 years

4 Likes