Side Effect Taper Lubrication

Is it strictly necessary to lubricate the side effect taper on One Drop yoyos? They recommend it on their site. I have a bunch of side effect yoyos, never lubed the taper, but I’ve never had any issues. Does anyone else lube the taper? Does it make a difference?

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of this. Now I’m curious.

1 Like

@da5id any insight? (When in doubt ask The Man)

5 Likes

I’ve never heard of this either and now I’m curious, too…

It’s just a maintenance thing, keeps the side effect from getting stuck in the hole. Recommended every now and then.

1 Like

This will help keep the o-rings used in the side effect system from dry rotting/cracking over time. I wouldnt do it to every single side effect yoyo you have right away, just do it whenever you clean the bearings as an extra maintenance step.

3 Likes

We recommend it because it helps keep the SideEffect from sticking -too- much. It is designed to stick enough to hold fast while changing bearings, string, etc. but should also come free with moderate finger pressure. A side benefit of V4M is that it keeps the o-ring from drying out. Also, the o-ring is only there to help hold the SideEffect in place on first assembly, notice how it kind of “snaps” into place. Beyond that, the o-ring does nothing to “dampen vibe”, “center the axle”, or “hold the SideEffect in place” (we’ve heard all these explanations on this and other forums).

8 Likes

I heard the o-ring pro tunes the spin molecules in the yo-yo to reduce vibe

1 Like

I’m guessing this is one of the other mad scientists behind One Drop?

1 Like

Yes, Shawn here, inventor of SideEffects, 1/2 owner of OneDrop, Machinist. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

As I have said in other posts Y’all are awesome!

3 Likes

What could be the reason of flat caps giving the vibe to any yoyo I have?

Maybe the caps are defective / unbalanced? If it happens on all your OD throws compatible with side effects, then that has to be it…?

4 Likes