Side effect maintenance pro tip from a pro

This tip from @yoyospirit was buried in another thread. I saw it and tried it and it helped me smooth out some of my SE throws of throws. I thought other people could benefit from it, so I have put it in it’s own topic.

Let me know if it helps you!

5 Likes

How, exactly, does lubing the hub hole help eliminate vibe?

1 Like

Magic :mage:t3:‍♂

5 Likes

My thought is that it actually helps to lubricate the O-ring, which may help it to tighten down a little cleaner? That’s my best guess

2 Likes

Nope. It’s magic.

11 Likes

I actually have no idea haha, I’ve just found it does help a little.

3 Likes

As to not steal any credit, I actually got the tip from Ibanezcollector in this video

6 Likes

guys guys guysguysguysguys. It’s very simple: LUBE ALL THE THINGS.

Metal on metal contact should be lubed, especially when it’s two very different metals (steel on alu).

5 Likes

Metal on metal
It’s the only way

3 Likes

To be honest I thought it was pretty self explanatory, but perhaps I did not interrogate my assumptions adequately or correctly.

I thought it removes the dirt or whatever else ends up in the hub hole, which prevents the side effects from sitting flush against the hub hole causing vibe.

Now you could use water, but that has it’s own problems. Again, self evident.

It didn’t work on all my yoyos, but it certainly helped make a couple dead smooth. It could be co-incidence, because when you take out the SE to clean you don’t put it in the exact same position. That is certainly possible.

2 Likes

Okay, well, to my mind cleaning and lubing are two different and separate operations to perform on a yoyo or its parts, that’s why I was puzzled how lubing the hub hole would help with vibe (as opposed to cleaning any groove or crevasse where dirt could accumulate).

1 Like

Pretty sure we’ve had this discussion before but I am 99% sure it’s about alignment when assembled. Anyway, lubing is a net good to the world. LUBE EVERYTHING

2 Likes

I don’t know what decade you grew up in but…

1 Like

lubeallthethings

4 Likes

One of the best yoyo “memes” ive seen yet, actually laughed at this one.