OD Side Effects Axle Size?

What is the length of the stock One Drop Axle that’s used in the Side Effects equipped yoyos? And of the options for purchase on YYE what would be a viable replacement?

3 Likes

Wait you want to replace just the metal axle in a Side Effect? I am not sure the metal axle can be taken out independently of the rest of it?

I got the impression it was permanently attached on the other side… not like there’s a hex key side here!

2 Likes

You are correct, sir.

1 Like

It actually can be taken out, but requires either a lot of force or heat. The axles are glued in with red Loctite. And the axle size is M4x0.7 16mm.

6 Likes

Confirmed, I was able to remove the axle, but it wasn’t easy to do without wrecking the side effects hub it was attached to (I didn’t wreck it, it just wasn’t easy). It involved a bit of heat and cold. Also as yoyospirit mentioned, they come with Loctite on one side. Originally I didn’t know if the side effects came WITH the axle, or if you had to purchase the axle separately. As I have discovered, when you buy a set of side effects they come with the axle…which seems obvious now that I know.

All of this was to get at a vibe tuning issue I was having with one of my One Drops. It’s all good now, I bought a new set of side effects and the yoyo is silky smooth…clearly an issue with the previous axle/hubs.

2 Likes

If your side effect yoyo has any vibe, just put some thin lube on a q tip and lube up the side effect hole on the yoyo. Best way I’ve found to tune side effect yoyos, and it’s recommended too, keeps side effects from getting stuck.

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ll give that a shot. I’ve got a slightly vibey Terrarian that I’d like to see if I can smooth out.

1 Like

Hmm, it didn’t seem to make a difference on the vibe. I took some thick lube to the inside of the seat where the side effects hub sits like you said, it did definitely make it not stick at all, which is good I suppose, but the vibe is still there.

When I say vibe I mean very little fingernail vibe…but all of my other One Drops are an 11 out of 10 smoothness, so the Terrarian is the ONE outlier because it has a slight bit of vibe.

1 Like

Was it a new yo-yo or used? Any hit to the yo-yo, even if it hasn’t left a significant mark, can run the chance of causing a little vibe. Best just to ignore it and enjoy the yo-yo.

3 Likes

Brand new. It’s minuscule really…not noticeable on the string, just with a touch of the fingernail. Like I said all of my one drops are dead smooth, the Terrarian is the one exception but totally not a factor.

I find that if you give OD side effect yo-yos an extra crank when tightening them it can smooth out whatever minimal vibe there is. You don’t need to worry about stripping them with the side effects, so put a little extra muscle into it and see if that helps.

1 Like

Also, you could try swapping out the SE for a different one, like you did with the other OD…

1 Like