Onedrop issues

I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I have a lot of OneDrop yo-yos and all of non side effects are fine but the yo-yos with side effects are responsive at times and some are super vibey. No dings/ mint, and routine bearing maintenance.

SE’s won’t effect the responsiveness of the yoyo as far as I know. It sounds like for some reason your SE yoyos just have dirty bearings.

As for the vibe, side effect yoyos sometimes require you to screw the yoyo together very tightly. I’ve had to really wrench a few SE yoyos to get them dead smooth, way harder than I’ve had to try and screw other yoyos together.

5 Likes

Crank them tight. Like really tight.

4 Likes

I have but I guess I need to tighten them more. afraid of stripping an axle

1 Like

If you do strip and axle you can always buy new SE’s. Although that sucks, it’s much better than needing a whole new yoyo.

SE’s seem very resistant to stripping though.

5 Likes

I second this

1 Like

Hmmm. Can’t say. I do really tighten down my side effect yo-yos though. But my side effect ones are just as smooth as my non side effect One Drops. Maybe just get the side effect ones “One Drop tight”. A little more than normal, but not too much.

Have you tried cleaning or swapping out your bearings? Can’t think of a reason why your Side Effect ODs are having responsiveness issues.

As for vibe, you’re often gonna have a bit of “Side Effect vibe.” As others have said, crank those yoyos. Side Effects are separate pieces from the aluminum cups that are basically press fit with an o-ring, so you really need to crank to make sure things are tight. IMO I think it’d be really hard if not impossible to strip a Side Effect since the hub can just rotate instead of stripping the axle but you can always buy a new pair of Side Effects and swap them.

1 Like

Quick question, do you still have the original response pads in your side effect yo-yos? Are the response pads sitting flush?

3 Likes

Yes has original response pads and yes they are flush had the Yoyo 2 years

My guess is you need to tighten them further. You can really crank a side effect yoyo without damaging it.

4 Likes

I often have success by removing the side effects and actually swapping which side they are on. And as others have mentioned really crank the gap as tight as it will possibly go. Don’t worry about over tightening them. I have never met somebody who has pulled that off! LOL. Give it some extra muscle and you shouldn’t notice a difference. :wink:

4 Likes

Took the advice and it helped quite a bit thankyou

3 Likes