Shutter WA vs. MVP 3

Hi all,

Trying to decide on some cheap throw to try
any comments on these?

Thanks,
Eli

1 Like

I haven’t tried the MVP 3, but it’s next on my list. I got the SWAngle recently, though, and I really enjoy it.

1 Like

I have an MVP3 and I think the wide angle is a better choice. MVP3 feels like an experiment, I don’t care for the shape in my hand either.

2 Likes

How does it play? Light/heavy? Is it hefty on throw? How does it compare to the original shutter or j weight in the string?

Thx!

1 Like

It’s basically just wider, otherwise it is a Shutter. I prefer wider throws so it works for me, and I don’t feel it is overly wide by modern yo-yo standards. The Re:Master Galaxy, for example, is wider still.

Now I haven’t played the Wide-Angle yet, but I have the regular Shutter. The rim and cup of the MVP 3 is a little odd feeling in the hand, but I personally really like it. Now the MVP feels like it might need a little more break in time than my Shutter did, but I really like it so far. I think either would be a great choice. Supposedly the MVP is supposed to play like a bi-metal. I can’t compare myself, but it does feel like there is some more power and spin time on it, although the spin time on the Shutter is plenty long. You can’t go wrong with either I think. My personal recommendation would be to eventually buy both. Maybe not both today, but get one then the other one in a month or two.

Compared to the original shutter, the swangle feels more powerful, but less stable. I really enjoy playing with both the shutter and the swangle, and at this point, I don’t have a definite preference. I’ve just been playing more with the swangle because it’s my newest throw. It doesn’t feel heavy or slow.

1 Like

The MVP 3 and the Wide Angle Shutter are so different.

I would only pick one over the other if I had to.

They are both excellent yo-yos and excellent values at their respective price points.

Every single person involved in the design of the MVP; plays or designs at a ‘high level of understanding’.

If ‘the question was’, ‘Do I have to buy a bi-metal to get bi-metal power’?

The answer would be, ‘No you don’t’.

Not to say don’t get a bi-metal. And today; there are good bi-metal yo-yos at many different price points.

So bi-metals are no longer always at pay through the nose; prices.

But if you don’t like bi-metals for whatever reason. Or you just happen to like mono-metal yo-yos that play with bi-metal power. Then the MVP3 is certainly on the short list.

The functionality of the MVP3 was no accident.