Shutter or Shutter Wide Angle - Which Is Better?

Shutter or Shutter Wide Angle - Which Is Better?

This might help. My preference is the Shutter over the Wide

3 Likes

Better for who? This is a preference question - the Shutter isn’t better than the WA, and vice versa, BUT some people do prefer one over the other. This goes for pretty much any yoyo - no yoyo is better than the other. It’s like asking what food is better - kinda like “What’s better, lasagna or spaghetti?” Idk man, that’s a preference thing, depends what you’re in the mood for.

And which Shutter? There have been so many releases of the “regular” Shutter in the decade-ish or so since its initial release - and sometimes in those various runs, weight was added or taken out, etc. So anything you read about the “regular” Shutter, esp if you’re reading about it in older threads/posts/etc, could be talking about a different iteration than the Shutter you can buy rn on YYE. There’s a lot of people who prefer the OG release due to it having more weight than the current version that’s available.

Some people think the regular Shutter feels too… generic/sterile (I’m not one of those people, just repeating what has been said). Some people think the WA feels too wide. As mentioned in the thread linked by Mike above, the WA is certainly wider in the hand, and both lighter and faster in play. Do you like wide yoyos? Do you like light yoyos? These are questions to ask yourself, since the WA is both of those things.

Since it’s all preferences, you really just have to pick one and go with it - and if you don’t jive with it, post it up on the BST and cop the other one. I own both, I like them both and think they’re great! And depending on my mood, I’ll opt for one over the other. Sometimes I don’t feel like throwing a 48mm wide yoyo, sometimes I do.

You really can’t go wrong. They’re good enough for Gentry, so they’re good enough for literally anyone here.

7 Likes

I some know why people are bearing around the bush here.

The wide angle is miles better.

Better spin time, better stability, wide catch zone.

Of course personal opinions vary. But by most players standards…including the guy who’s name is on it…they will prefer the wide angle.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve read a lot on this. It’s always a fun topic, but the clear overall consensus is that the Shutter has been surpassed, which says a lot about the state of yoyo – Golden Age! A yoyo that was regarded as the standard and a do-everything-well throw is considered so meh.

The debate that’s closer is Wide Angle Shutter versus JDS Shutter, and I am under the impression that the JDS Shutter seems to get more love, but not necessarily by a wide margin.

1 Like

I prefer the Wangle!

I tried both and for me the wide angle has a little bit more to give performance wise, it honestly come down on how you play and your style, if you like more technical tricks and a lot of skills I think for my experience the wangle give you more freedom but also I quite like wide yoyos and have no issues on play with them!

1 Like

Shutter wide angle is better hands down. JDS Shutter is good too.

2 Likes