Show some wooden yoyos you've made

@Eric_Newlin the only problem I see is where the really open grain intersects the river. I think the epoxy is going to flow into the grain opening.

Edit… well googling “kintsugi” I now see that may be the desired effect. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I used my dremel on this red oak proto just to see if it would work and how hard it would be to control. A little challenging with the open grain texture, but do-able. What I ultimately want is to try this on wenge - but thought I’d test on less expensive wood :grin: . I was thinking of mixing mica powder with epoxy or CA in a syringe, and filling the grooves before sanding.

2 Likes

It would be nice if I could control the flow, and I’ll definitely test it on this old proto first. The epoxy you suggested mixes up relatively thick, so I wonder if there would be less leakage into the open grain. I guess there’s only one way to find out!

3 Likes

Glen, I wonder if you could use your laser engraver to create your design and then epoxy over that. You could probably create some wildly intricate designs.

3 Likes

This guys are getting axles tonight. They grow up so fast :face_holding_back_tears:

22 Likes

Axles in, and now we wait…

These were made with the router table doing the heavy lifting instead of the lathe. I obtained a handful of table edge/thumbnail bits and combined them with various round over bits to create the profile.
These all have a nice clean outer face with no axle peaking through, and a few might get a cup depending on how I feel in a day or two.

13 Likes

I need to raise a bit of cash to pay for some wood and a new bandsaw blade.

Would anyone here be interested in purchasing a latest model Harbinger if I made a couple?

6 Likes

How’s shipping to the states? I would be very interested!

3 Likes

Will take about 2 weeks.

2 Likes

I really like how this one turned out. It’s a satisfying combination of power, snappiness, and simplicity. ~52 grams, which is such a great weight in my opinion.

21 Likes

I also finally got to use my response-hole marking template, which makes things just that more consistent.

5 Likes

I would definitely pre-order one!

2 Likes

Just finished these up. Pau Rosa wood with a Gaboon ebony laminated stripe. Weights are left, 56.6 grams and right, 60 grams.

26 Likes

These are beautiful @vegabomb

Amazing work. I love the design of having the black line run through each half.

4 Likes

Those look so cool! The Pau Rosa is such a beautiful wood.

3 Likes

Does anyone know how a double rim would effect the play-feel of a wooden yoyo? Has anyone done this before?

I’ve been playing my CLYW Beater quite a bit, and love the feel and look of the double rim. I’m not sure how the double rim impacts the design though.

@MarkD ?

4 Likes

Dual rims push the weight to the rim in a less extreme manner. So you’re adding more rim weight to a yoyo without giving it as much of the heavy feeling/other characteristics that are associated with very strong rim weighting.

I’d imagine you could use less dense wood like Cherry or something, and if you made the yoyo a bit oversized, then you’d be able to give it a dual rim for mostly aesthetic purposes. Since you’d be proportionally removing less overall mass to create the dual rims.

I feel like emphasizing rim weighting on a fixie in general is weird though, when something is supposed to be more nimble, feel lighter, flip more easily, and be very controllable on regens- pushing the weight to the rims just seems counter intuitive for a fixie. Dual rims are still just a way to add more overall rim weight.

6 Likes

Trying out the new laser engraver. Testing out options and open to feedback.

27 Likes

I love the logo you’re using! I hope this doesn’t come off as rude, but if I might make one suggestion - the words “wild” and “wood” look a little unbalanced with the large stylized “L” that is currently in wild. Could you do a version with a smaller “L” in wild to see how it looked?

Edit - or, alternatively, making the two "O"s in wood larger/more stylized

Second edit, sorry - I also think a version of the logo with the wood stump in the middle enlarged a bit, and the words “wild wood” wrapped around it would also look good!

4 Likes

@100Love , those are all really great ideas! This was just a stock font, so I might have to try some sort of design software to tweak it. I imagine the stump in the center of the yo-yo face with the words wrapping around it could look cool

Anyone have suggestions on free or cheap software to create customized logo text?

Also, this is just one of a handful of ideas so we’ll have to see how they all look on an actual yo-yo.

3 Likes