Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Portal and Vortex have nice rings to them. :+1:

1 Like

Those were my two favorites too

1 Like

Portal would require a half swap blue and orange colorway, or maybe a single painted inner ring on both sides…

2 Likes

Now, that is a really cool idea.

2 Likes

As a music person, I started to think about how it resembles the dispersion of sound waves and also looks a little like a speaker cone. So…

• Echo
  • Tweeter
  • Woofer

Also, on a different note, my brain was in yoyo name mode and thought of the Rothyo, a Black walnut yoyo with wenge inlays. :black_circle:

4 Likes

Woofa is already claimed by amplified return tops unfortunately

1 Like

Echo sounds cool

2 Likes

Loofah then. Heck, go for Appaloosa. Horse breed names for throws.

Charcoal would be a badass name if you lightly roasted your throws… mmm Roasted Throws (new company name recommendation), use bamboo charcoal somehow – also useful in the tastiest bread if you’re passing through Taiwan.

I’ve digressed.

5 Likes

I like Echo! :mega:

Ooooooo, if you want to get technical with it, Reverb. :sunglasses:

Edit: I also still really like “The Elevation”.

2 Likes

Ok, let’s put it to a vote. Among these options, which is your favorite name for this wood unresponsive?

• Echo
  • Portal
  • Contour
  • Surveyor

0 voters

3 Likes

Note that you shouldn’t (possibly, can’t, legally) call it the Echo as that’s a Duncan model.

4 Likes

Good catch. I’ll strike the Echo option, since I can’t edit the poll now.

1 Like

Change Echo to Ripple!

7 Likes

The people have spoken. Surveyor shall be it’s name.

18 Likes

Tomorrow I’m going to make a series of fixies out of curly maple and red oak (and maybe another wood as well…).

I’ll use the same organic shoulder curve, but vary the diameter, width, and outer face. Some will have a flat outer face and others with have cups of different sizes.

I’m excited to play with the subtleties of weight distribution, and I’m pretty confident that it’ll turn out some fantastic players!

11 Likes

Keep me posted. I’m still interested in one with the organic shoulder curve (organic in general). Wood selection is not critical. Thank you.

1 Like

I got carried away, so I didn’t actually finish any tonight. But the process is on its way after many hours of planing and puck cutting and drilling axle holes on the lathe.

25 Likes

The dark ones look like Oreos cookies. The reddish ones look incredible. (Actually, they all do!)

2 Likes

Trying a little experiment with a kintsugi-like, epoxy river…

14 Likes

I was considering doing this with the SW logo on my yoyos. Hand engrave it it with a dremel, put some glitter in there and the epoxy over the top. Finlally, turn and sand it flush.

2 Likes