Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Looks really great.

2 Likes

I’m in the process of laser engraving some of my yoyos with my brand. I think it looks pretty cool.

13 Likes

^^Nice work!!!

2 Likes

Impressive.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Please keep posting some pictures of yoyos you people have made.

I’m really interested to see them!

2 Likes

I would if I had one lol

2 Likes

I’ll sell you one. :wink:

2 Likes

Woohoo, my first success! Birds eye maple, 57mm x 34mm, 49g, 1/4 in walnut axle. 5th try and it’s finally smooth. Accidentally used poplar then went to purpleheart then two wobbly maples, then this one.

Plays great. Fantastic shoot the moons, I can do figure 8s on it, and it responds well.

I’m using a screw chuck I made and turning each half by hand.

5 Likes

Quote for m Five IronBrian
Woohoo, my first success! Birds eye maple, 57mm x 34mm, 49g, 1/4 in walnut axle. 5th try and it’s finally smooth. Accidentally used poplar then went to purpleheart then two wobbly maples, then this one.
Plays great. Fantastic shoot the moons, I can do figure 8s on it, and it responds well.
I’m using a screw chuck I made and turning each half by hand.

It looks great but doesn’t the string get caught up in the axle?

2 Likes

Hmm, not sure I follow. The string gets caught up on the axle and response holes when you tug it…

3 Likes

I’ll buy 1 after Christmas, it needs a panda on it though lol

2 Likes

That is very nice!

I’d love to get a hold of some 1/4" walnut dowel for axles, but it’s not really available here in Australia. The Australian oak I use is really good, though.

3 Likes

Looks good. I love maple yoyos. That’s how nature designed them.

4 Likes

I think the way maple feels and looks is fantastic. So smooth. However, it doesn’t yield yoyos that are heavy enough for my tastes.

2 Likes

Mmmmm, maple. The weight is right on for traditional butterfly! Here’s the “birds eye view”

I’m going to try a modified shape or smaller purpleheart after my next maple success. Tough stuff. The first one I tried destroyed my screw chuck and so I rebuilt it… out of purpleheart!

2 Likes

You’ll definitely need a smaller diameter for a purpleheart version of this yoyo. As it is, it would weigh around 65-70g.

The worst thing I have found using purpleheart is how much gummy resun builds up on my tools and dulls the edges. I won’t use it again for a while.

3 Likes

Loving the maple yoyo you made, Brian. It inspired me to buy some sugar maple myself to try. I made a yoyo from it today and its one of my favourite to date.

3 Likes

Making a bunch of yoyos today that I will list on my BST very soon.

6 Likes

Made these. They’re listed on my BST if anyone’s interested.

6 Likes