Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Specs:
Diameter: 60.5mm
Width: 34.5
Weight: 44g
Gap: variable.

6 Likes

Although it’s 44g, it has a good long spin. Perfect for @EOS44.

4 Likes

I thought that was light for a Harbinger that diameter. Stoked to see @EOS44 shred that boi!

4 Likes

I approve of nothing in this video, yet I still love the result. Lol

6 Likes

Hmm probably coulda used one more pass on that belt sander. Super cool to see kids still getting in the shop and trying things though.

3 Likes

I agree. Great to see kids try projects like these.

3 Likes

Absolutely. My 9 year old is finally really getting into yoyos and I’d like him to start learning more in my woodshop out back so, Boom… Win/Win. I’ll be sure to post our first try at a yoyo.

3 Likes

I’d love to see what you two come up with. Are you an experienced woodworker?

3 Likes

No, certainly not experienced but I can manage decently enough on most projects. My background is in metal fab but maybe 5 years ago I realized how little I knew about woodworking and started tooling around. I’m sure our first yoyo will be a trainwreck but the end result isn’t what I’m most excited about anyhow.

3 Likes

I’m sure it won’t be a trainwreck. It’s really easy to make a basic functional wooden yoyo. What’s hard is making an exceptional one.

4 Likes

That’s right. The exciting bit is making it and problem solving, especially together with your son.

3 Likes

My goodness. I am split between this video being a “funny yoyo meme” or a great example of DIY spirit.

4 Likes

Haha! Yeah it certainly contains that kinda tension.

4 Likes

I’m hoping to get started on it the next time he stays over. I’ll keep you posted once we get rolling on it. Thanks for the inspiration!

3 Likes

No worries! I love seeing wooden yoyos others have made. Everybody puts their own flavour into what they make and approaches things differently in ways I wouldn’t have though of. Diversity is good.

3 Likes

I love the energy of this conversation.

3 Likes

It’s not all that great. Sounds like a pedestal fan when spinning. Plays like normal as far as I can tell so far. Spin time suffers a bit.

22 Likes

That’s crazy.

2 Likes

Looks wicked!

2 Likes

That almost reminds me of a cheese wheel :drooling_face:

3 Likes