Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Made a SpectraPly KNack for my man Kyle Nations. I’m also sending a ton of axle sleeves made of different woods to see what he approves (although I think I already know which ones he’ll like). We’re really in tune when it comes to fixed axle tastes.

18 Likes

Oooh I can’t wait to see what he thinks!

2 Likes

I predict he may not like the weight. His favourite these days is the beech KNack at about 47g, so this may not be his cup of tea.

54.8g is definitely still a very comfortable weight for a fixed axle, though.

5 Likes

70g or bust.

4 Likes

Mate, you need a spotted gum Harbinger.

1 Like

Lots of axle stock of many different kinds. I’ll be turning all of this up over the next month or so to.be used in my take apart models. Here is beech, maple, cypress pine, walnut, spotted gum, purpleheart, wenge, myrtle, zebrawood, white oak and even some SpectraPly.

I have a good idea which ones will have the best response already, so no surprises there.

9 Likes

What did you call me?!

3 Likes

I turned this Padauk a bit smaller in diameter than the last. It’s 2 3/16”. Weight is 56 grams. I added some response, my patented “Laser Response”. (I laser engraved a “W” four times in each half lol). It plays really great. When I STM I normally stop because the yoyo made me, not because I’m done. This yoyo I feel I can STM forever. It’s difficult to tell from the pic but there is a dimple in the center. It has a walnut axle.

24 Likes

that’s gorgrous @vegabomb

4 Likes

Got any shots of the response area? That sounds super interesting.

4 Likes

Unfortunately no. I realized after I’d glued them up I forgot to get a pic (which I intended to do). I will on the next ones I make for sure though.

9 Likes

Made a TA maple bloodcell.

29 Likes

I’ve been turning axles out of a few different woods this week. The best for pretty much everything so far is cypress pine. Its response is dead on and smooth. It also seems to never respond abruptly when you don’t want it to. Its smoothly textured too which means while it still responds consistently, long string tricks still work very well with it. I may need more testing, but so far it is amazing.

20200515_235227

21 Likes

I was very excited to turn this, I managed to salvage a piece from split cypress pine timber that was free of defects. Its so rare to find a piece suitable for making a yoyo. I’ve been trying to get a piece like this for a long while.

Cypress pine has a unique aesthetic and wonderful smooth feel in the hand. It also turns like butter. It has a very uniform density (as long as you avoid knots) and a good level of durability without being too heavy. If you can get a suitable piece, it’s one of the nicest woods for a yoyo in my opinion.

This is a KNack made from It. Weighs in at 55g, plays superbly and is also very smooth.

22 Likes

wooow. That is an exceptional looking piece.

5 Likes

This should be framed and displayed.

5 Likes

I’ve been talking with Kyle and I think the next release on YYE (if they’d like some) should be take-apart KNacks. Some in Spectraply and some in other woods. I’m yet to send Kyle a take-apart Knack for testing, but I’m pretty confident he will be enamored with the walnut variant. No KNack variant gets released without Kyle’s approval.

I will also check out some other intersting, light woods that will yield results of 50g and under. It’s going to take time though as I can’t go shopping for wood for another couple of months.

9 Likes

Made a pine KNack. I’ve been challenging my ideas on conventions of ideal weight and density. How light really is too light? This one is 38g.

19 Likes

Very nice

1 Like

Well, what’s the conclusion? Inquiring throwers want to know

2 Likes