Show some wooden yoyos you've made

That looks spicy and I’m trying to figure it out. Is the nut held in by an epoxied-in disc of wood? Did you cut a hex nut shaped hole in each half?

3 Likes

The nut is press-fitted and epoxied into a small hole under the large disk and the disk is epoxied over the top to ensure it remains in securely.

7 Likes

These look really good, love the response detail.

3 Likes

Damn that’s hot.

3 Likes

My system uses lighter metal hardware than other wooden take aparts do, which usually rely on brass threaded inserts. Mine uses a standard steel M4 nut and m4 grub screw. It adds less than 3g of weight. The second photo is the hardware other yoyos use.

7 Likes

White oak KNack. This is the second yoyo I’ve made with my take-apart system. If it can work on a KNack it will work on any of my models.

Both the take-apart Skinflint and the KNack I made were made from pieces of wood that has consistently produced very vibey yoyos. Interestingly, these ones on are amazingly smooth. Like as smooth as or smoother than most of my epoxied yoyos. It also doesn’t seem to matter whether the grain is aligned or not, they remain smooth. This was unexpected, and all my other take apart fixed axle yoyos I own spin nowhere near as smoothly as these.

I have no idea why that is. My guess is that both the steel nut in the middle and the wooden disk I insert is stabilising them somehow. :man_shrugging: Dunno, but it’s a real win.

20 Likes

Just finished these today. They’re made from canary wood. It has a great feel in the hand. These all play well (except the one with the “V” for vibe).

17 Likes

Yo those are sweet! Are you gonna start selling them any time soon??

5 Likes

I’ll probably sell a couple. They’ll be pretty cheap. I’d like to get peoples opinions.

7 Likes

I like the shape, those look sweet

4 Likes

Those look really good.

4 Likes

I would like to be one of those paying guinea pigs. You know where to find me.

3 Likes

Would you be willing to trade one for this KNack, @vegabomb?

8 Likes

I think you sold it based on your BST thread. We can work out a trade for the next batch.

5 Likes

It’s not engraved yet but this Padauk wood came out nice. It’s a little heavy due to the weight of Padauk, weighs 62 grams. Plays incredibly smooth.

In person it’s redder than the first pic appears. The gap pic is a better representation of the color.

20 Likes

That looks awesome!!!

3 Likes

Sign me up if you have a list.

3 Likes

Made a SpectraPly KNack. This one has a maple axle.

20 Likes

I woukd sell it if people don’t mind the very long shipping time

2 Likes

I tried to post a picture of my square yo-yo, but my camera keeps stopping. Sorry guys, it was pretty cool.

5 Likes