Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Just spun another walnut Harbinger.

20181121_063656

9 Likes

:heart_eyes: goodness, those look so fun!

1 Like

Yep, they are. The walnut is nice and light.

1 Like

Turned a merbau Harbinger for @Aragorn tonight. Love using merbau. It looks so nice and makes super smooth yoyos.

20181127_220330 20181127_220237

12 Likes

Masterpiece! :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Turned my first ever wenge Harbinger tonight. I’ve used wenge before, but never for a Harbinger.
It looks very premium, but the toxicity of the wood gives me a headache every time I turn it. Even through my respirator.

I’m going to work on your unresponsive soon, @Cannon. I just haven’t been able to get down to the wood store to get what I need to do it.
20181129_220817 20181129_220815 20181129_220811

13 Likes

Is it toxic?
edit: 5 year old spelling error

1 Like

The yoyo isn’t toxic. Just the dust and splinters the wood produces while working with it.

3 Likes

Ah… I see

1 Like

I hope you are using a particulate mask. You can get some really serious health issues from inhaling certain wood dusts. Yew is one of my favorite woods to make slingshots and knife handles from, but the dust from it can cause some detrimental lung problems if you aren’t careful. Amazing yoyo by the way, that thing is out of this world!

5 Likes

That’s a thing of beauty Glen. I love the dark wood yoyos.

5 Likes

I was gonna say, I agree, you’ve built some BEAUTIFUL wooden spinworthy yo-yos in the past for sure but that one is arguably the prettiest. The dark wood is just :ok_hand: perfect

3 Likes

I use a respirator with two filters. Makes me look like I’m living in a post-apocalyptic world.

Somehow, the dust still gets in a small amount and gives me a headache.

And yew is a shocker of a wood. The dust from that can potentially kill you dead.

6 Likes

Please stay away from yew then!

4 Likes

Such a missed opportunity… should have written

Yew better stay away from that!

13 Likes

If I could have thanked that post twice, I would have.

2 Likes

Another added bonus of wenge is that it splinters easily and they are as sharp as harpoons.

It doesn’t stop there, get a decent splinter and there is a possibility you can contract a kind of blood disease from it. Just charming.

6 Likes

Please don’t send me one of those :joy: I don’t care for splinters and diseases.

1 Like

Haha! Don’t fret, you really won’t have any worries just using a yoyo from it! :grinning:

2 Likes

Just turned a maple Harbinger for @DocPop. I hope he likes it.20181130_230433

10 Likes