Show some plastic yoyos you made

I haven’t, but I can do it.

I know in theory that it would not make for good fixed play.

4 Likes

Yeah I thought it would play really slow and have poor spin times. Best to be content with a half spec bearing I suppose.

May try a 3/16 aluminum fixed version of these in the future.

4 Likes

Fresh print in what I’m calling the “Magnifier” series. Matte white and matte chocolate brown feels/looks classy somehow. 38x58 60.4 g. Really happy with how these are turning out.

29 Likes

:exploding_head: :interrobang:
Is that bearing post permanent? If so how do you tune it?

3 Likes

Yes it’s permanent. I heated it with a soldering iron and press it into a slightly undersized hole. I was able to reheat and adjust a couple to help tune it as well, but that is not ideal. I had to take a razor blade and trim the bearing seat after pressing due to irregularities from the heating/melting. I’ve found the vibe to be acceptable, but not great unresponsive. It’s no big deal playing them responsive with a half spec though. Center trac bearings seemed to be the best for vibe and play. I recessed the pads slightly to help with vibe too. I’d say that the vibe is comparable to what I’ve experienced with a YYF Replay or Wedge. I also used a long axle which gave me some tune-ability and I wrapped the axle with Teflon tape which also helped the vibe and the noise. Additionally, the pattern design itself inherently going to add some vibe I think since it’s not symmetrical. I did try to incorporate enough randomness into the patterns to help??? I’m thinking of these as playable art pieces rather than focusing on competition style and smoothness. Having fun sketching patterns on paper in a @DocPop sketch book then transferring the concept in CAD.

20 Likes

That’s interesting :scream: I’ve never seen anyone press fit bearing post from inside. What bearing posts are those? Are they custom machined?

I love how this allows you to do a monolithic body that hides the hub without caps. I’ve only done this once by inserting a nut half way through the print just at the right height. This is 100% untunable and I guess I rolled a 3 out of 6 on the smoothness dice.

Fun fact… The “step” in the H shape is exactly the height where pause happened and the nut was inserted. Aside from the novelty of the monolithic design I ended up liking the slimline profile, so I used that same profile to make a more practical yoyo – called the Stratom.

13 Likes

Not custom machined. In fact I just ordered more M4s, since the ones I have now are from an M2-M6 variety pack. It just so happens that they work as a bearing post for C size bearing. It fits about as loose as a One Drop throw.

These ones are a different brand, so fingers crossed they fit the same as what I have now. I’ll let you know.

Hilitchi 60Pcs Brass Knurled Nuts Threaded Heat Embedment Nut for Printing 3D Printer and More Projects (M4x8x6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z88ZQNX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MGS56THA4GF3ECVPY378?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

7 Likes

Third edition of the Magnifier series. This one is called Feather. Not sure how I feel about the color scheme yet. 59.6 grams

24 Likes

I really like the color scheme!

5 Likes

This pattern series you’ve been posting is amazing. Color scheme here is great. Old school spider man.

7 Likes

Wow…

3 Likes

+1 to this — can your Spider Sense tingle in a good way?

4 Likes

144% yes!

1 Like

I trully could see some @ChrisFrancz artwork on this.

Ps. It’s incredible how good 3D printing are getting…

5 Likes

Funny you say this. I had the same thought the other day. :thinking:

5 Likes

Collab is coming… :green_heart:

3 Likes

So these didn’t work (too loose). Here is the link for the ones I have been using that do work. You’ll have to get the whole variety pack though. I can’t seem to find any M4 ones sold separately that have the 6.3mm OD.

AJOYIB 300Pcs Brass Threaded Insert Nuts M2 M3 M4 M5 Female Thread Knurled Nut Inserts Embedment Nut for 3D Printing Project Amazon.com

4 Likes

Messing around with some ideas. 45x59 67g

19 Likes

Went for a rounded V with small bump at the response. Best playing one to date for sure and the design on the rim turned out nice I think. Seems like the color change on the rims make it easier for the eye to track the throw also, similar to a line or stripe on a Tama when playing Kendama. Had to add supports for the point in the cup, but the flat bottom was able to bridge no problem. Think I’m gonna do a Side Effect version next.

44x57 at 60g

20 Likes

Printed this while watching the Masters today. Side Effects!!!

23 Likes