Show me your first yoyo

I just want to see your first yoyo that you got on your yoyo journey

4 Likes

6 Likes

When did you get that

78-79
Wish I still had it but I was hard on toys

1 Like

This is half of the yoyo I started on bc I half swapped it with a friend. Butterfly XT got me hooked!

8 Likes

The Butterfly XT I bought at Target on a whim like 5 years before I got into this hobby.

When I discovered modern yoyoing, I pulled this out and tried to learn some tricks on it. I soon learned I was going to need an upgrade and bought a Sage. I broke that one but I do have some old pics.

10 Likes

My first yoyos (which were Duncan mosquitos and a Yomega fireball) are long gone, but the closest to my first yoyo that I still have is my incredibly beat up Yomega Maverick! I learned how to bind on this thing once the response started slipping and was my first “real” yoyo.

8 Likes

Got one of these back when I was in the Navy on a submarine deployment. It broke at some point and I no longer have it.

That led to this one, which I still have and love

Enjoy the throw my friends
kgb

6 Likes

Ha! Those where my same two. XT to Sage.

1 Like

Not my very first, which was a Duncan Imperial, but my first more performant one after getting into the hobby. As you can tell, the first thing I did was take it to school and walk the dog in the tiled hallway :rofl:

10 Likes

9 Likes

What is that clear plastic knob on that yoyo? Looks crazy.

The YoYo is the 401K

The knobs are an adjustable response system. Turn the knob and the response shuttles move in or out adjusting the gap to be wider or narrower. You can go from fixed axle type responsive all the way to recessed pad unresponsive.

The system was still in use by YYF on some lower end plastic models (Velocity) but this was the original implementation of the system. It works well and I was able to learn a lot playing with it, all of my early skills were developed using this throw. Still plays great.

On the left, the response is dialed up for responsive play, on the right, response is dialed down for unresponsive.

Narrow gap to wide in a few twists.

Seems like a gimmick at first but I’ve been playing with this throw since like 2001 and it still performs flawlessly.

Enjoy the throw
kgb

11 Likes

Oh nice. Kinda like the silver bullet 2. But it adjust on the inside.

1 Like

First.

Second.

12 Likes

Along with the x brain and rbii, this is it

11 Likes

A red Duncan Professional

12 Likes

This very Yoyo. Transaxle fireball from the 96/97’ boom. Remember buying it and everything :grin:

9 Likes

This is not my photo but I had a yellow/white Texan 5 star when I was 8yo in the 80s. Don’t really know what this make/brand is tbh, apparently it’s from Spain.

Fast forward to 2010 when I discovered about how much yoyo’s have advanced, 1A string tricks on an unresponsive yoyo!?. Not being sure how much I’d need to adapt and learn, figured I’ll start with a YYF Velocity. All I’ll ever need is just one yoyo and a click dial to change it from response to unresponsive, easy right? Unfortunately, it got lost in the mail and I couldn’t wait anymore. So I found a local retailer and wanted to get a YYJ Lyn Fury, but that wasn’t in stock. I was suggested the Kickside instead which was similar in the cost range, but supposedly a better performer than YYJ LF.

I remember just a few days/weeks in with it. Learning basic tricks on the Kickside was so frustrating. High walls, small gap and spin just dies out briefly in Skin the Gerbil?

Well in hindsight, it was probably my bad throws lol.

These days I’ve widened the gap with shims and do actually enjoy throwing the Kickside every now and then. Just trying to see how far I can take it with the tricks I’ve learnt. Still amazed at how far some players can shred on this with their skills.

8 Likes

9 Likes