Show me your dings!

I don’t have many throws, and I’ve been carrying my Laevateinn daily for almost a year now. It’s undoubtedly well-loved, with dings and scratches all over it. Thankfully, it’s still smooth enough to play.

My Halloween Contest Entry really highlights how worn its become.

As much as I cringe every time I ding it, its surface reminds me of my learning journey.

What’s your most well-loved throw? What’s the story behind it? Post some pics and show the world that a dinged-up throw is still a great throw!

3 Likes

No one’s got the dings to share? I has a sad…

1 Like

Great topic, I just wish we had all the other similar threads merged…

4 Likes

One of my more beat up
Yoyos

6 Likes

My edc markmont classic plays smooth still after all the love!

8 Likes

I’m kind of curious to know if anyone else has gotten dings on their yoyo but still remains smooth?

I’ve noticed the wider the yoyo is the more it’s likely to develop string vibe upon the slightest damage. Applies to 7075 aluminium as well! Narrower yoyos would take a beat and I wouldn’t notice a difference in smoothness at all.

Another thing that I’d like to understand is whether having a longer axle would mean it could withstand more damage before inducing vibe?

Or perhaps I’m being delusional? I mean at the end of the day it’s a toy that’s meant to be enjoyed, to be used and abused, not to stay mint but to be dinged!

1 Like

My Laevateinn is still fairly smooth. Minor vibe with all the dings.

1 Like

I got a bunch of yo-yos w dings that are still smooth. As long as the internals are still good they should still spin good.

2 Likes

I don’t think anybody can give you a 100% certain answer. Just a lot of anecdotes and personal theories. William Chow made a video talking about his design theories and explains his choices based on how force will be dispersed throughout the yoyo on impacts, which led to him adding more material past the axle of the yoyo.

Overall width/wall thickness/weight distribution and lots of other factors probably matter for how prone a yoyo is to developing a vibe from dings. Emphasis on probably, different designers seem to have different ideas (or just don’t care at all).

4 Likes

I got a really bad ding on my newest yo-yo, im still sad about it

6 Likes

I’ve got several heavily dinged throws and they vary in smoothness. My dinged up Avalanche is Fool’s Gold for vibe and wasn’t smooth to begin with so it’s hard to tell on that. However my Yuuksta is pretty beat up and still quite smooth relatively to when I got it.

6 Likes

:point_right: SPYY Pro :point_left:

Personally, I don’t like hitting yo-yos.
But it’s inevitable if you play with them a lot ;)¡Good thread!

4 Likes

This was my first Yoyo so obviously it’s pretty dinged up :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Not the best pic since i was aiming for the CW. But, it’e my mint chip slappa. No really story behind it other than i was tired of dropping my Dunks or whatever else i playing (at work, i’m talkin’ here) the concrete we have at work is brutal. You can’t even roll a skateboard on it so it absolutely tears yoyos apart. So i figured, the slappa is kinda made to be a sorta EDC so i made that choice one day. Mainly to save all my other throws from that crazy ground at work. Outside of work, fair game for anything. Slappa is the literal “work horse” for me.

Oh, and it’s still smooth. Not glass smooth but more than smooth enough for me. 7068 Jake B throws are the toughest out there in my experience.

8 Likes

I didn’t have it for a full day before i dinged it. The part that hurt was I spent so many months searching for one to come up for sale on the BST

8 Likes

Dark magic has certainly seen better days, still fun to play though

7 Likes

I’ve got a Mecha Bape and a Surge to show here. Siri, remind me to take pictures of my beat yo-yos.

@EnilLord DO IT WITH #33

This morning my Cheatcode flew of the string :cry: :cry: :cry:

7 Likes

My kids got a hold of my old Yomega RB2. :hammer:

4 Likes