Shoutout to yoyo meets and everyone who goes

Yoyo meets seriously bring me SO much joy. I ride the high from a meet for like, a week after it happens. In my experience yoyo meets have been so full of laughter, smiles, teaching, and curiosity. I’ve gotten to try hundreds of yoyos, help newcomers, learn from those way better than me, make new friends, and most importantly make memories.

So to everyone who’s ever gone to a meet or especially to those who set them up, thank you so much for enriching other’s lives like mine :slight_smile: I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to go to so many this year.

Anyone have any favorite stories about their local meets to tell? Some of mine have been meeting a local members pug, that pug meeting my cat a few weeks later, the group all signing a birthday card and presenting it to one of our members, watching a 12 year old get super excited about my balisongs, and watching members grind out ridiculous things like landing a Unicorn on a 9 dragons to do DNa with the unicorn then getting both back to their hands.

I love yoyos. I love this community.

27 Likes

i wish i had meets near me, it’s super sweet to hear others stories though :smiling_face::smiling_face:

5 Likes

I am manifesting a meet so hard for you <3

4 Likes

Let me add also this to the whole amazing post you did.

I come from a foreign country with a different language and culture, yoyo meetings gave me chances to let me find immediately friends in a new country and do not make me feel alone.
I seen this happening to me and to so many other people here in London (UK), I find this amazing!

Yo-yo community is honestly the best community I have ever met!

11 Likes

Omg this was a cute read! Shoutout Chicago Yoyo club! We’ve only had one meet so far but it was super fun! I felt like I just binge tried a million yo-yos. It’s a great way to try a ton of things. Shoutout to the motion crew bc we’re lucky enough to have some of the motion squad nearby so I got to try a ton of those yo-yos and a ton of sick prototypes. I was able to try a bunch of the newer cheaper options available right now also so now I know what to recommend for yo-yos, even if I don’t own them. Also shoutout Michiana Yoyo club, even if it was just Mable and I lol! It was still super fun hanging out and trying each others yo-yos and talking yoyos. Basically, meets are super dope! I hope everyone goes a bit out of their way to make it to one or start one up and make it happen bc it’s totally worth it!

7 Likes

Yoyo meets are so great! They’ve helped me meet new people after I moved and through the meet-ups I’ve learned new tricks and further reignite my interest in yoyoing

3 Likes

Feeling you here in the Mile High! I look forward to yoyo club every month it’s such great energy! Trying new throws, learning new tricks, great BST activity - so many great things about it. My favorite is just seeing genuine positive personal human interaction!

I also think it creates this great opportunity to teach and to be taught - at the same event you can experience both things.

Finally my favorite moment was recently when a homeless dude came up and told us about an enforcer on the underground who uses yoyos as weapons because the police won’t confiscate them when they see them. He said they call him Yo Yo and he bashes people with them. So, NOT A MYTH I GUESS!!! Ahh the color of local street folk!

7 Likes

Make your own meet. Be your own change. But seriously it might be as simple as no one else has stepped up and creating a structure is enough for those in the area to come.

7 Likes

Chico Yoyo club shoutout! Meets at the national yo-yo museum every Saturday. I have meet super good friends though it and really enjoyed throwing with other fellow Yoyo players. If you are ever in the area, swing on by!

3 Likes

That pug is so beautiful! I want to hug that baby.

1 Like

Love meeting in person. I was hesitant at first but yoyo people are generally the best people. Teaching kids or adults that walk by how to do stuff is fun. Sometimes there’s collateral damage but that can be prevented with a yoga mat or carpet or grass. Idk I have fun in person meets. Hoping to get more involved and help boost the DMV throwers club and get it back to pre covid glory as it sort of fizzled during isolation.

1 Like

I’ve heard about that dude!!! Pretty sure lightening flies out of his @r$ too!!!

I have fallen out of the habit (I’m sorry!) but I loved the way yo-yos let me meet cool people both here online and in person (shout out to the old Alameda, CA meetups, miss y’all). :clap:

Let’s face it – if you “get” yo-yos, you are just cooler than the other people :wink:

(don’t worry, I still kept my coolest and best yo-yos, about 6 of 'em. My son and I throw a bit now and then.)

10 Likes

Which 6 made the cut?