Should i buy a new Yo-yo or a camera?

I think it is safe to say that many of us have several hobbies. My top two at the moment are film photography and yoyos. I try my best to keep a budget for both so things don’t get out of hand. This Christmas I was gifted some fun money so I’m debating on which hobby I would like to spend it on. I normally have no problem choosing which side gets the cash but I’m a bit on the fence this time

The camera side: I have been shooting film for a bit and I have a few TLRs, SLRs, and point and shoots. I have been wanting to challenge myself a bit and have been looking to pick up a pinhole film camera. A brief description, a pinhole film camera is a very simple camera (sometimes just a box) that has a very small hole for a lense. The expose time for many shots is in the minutes and has to be calculated out depending on the film you are using (aka, reciprocity failure). So needless to say it is a bit more demanding to use.

The yo-yo side: I have been wanting to get a Yoyo Factory Kapital (orange/gold acid wash) for some time. I’m normally not attracted to rounded organic yoyos but there is just something very appealing about that one.

So those are my two picks which side should win the money?

Also, which of your hobbies competes with your yo-yo fund?

4 Likes

I would just make a pinhole camera (I mean how hard can it be?) and buy the Kapital! Win/win!

My other hobbies that my yoyo fund robs are cycling (mountain, bar, fatbike for Winter) and making synth music. I just had a severe bout with temptation to get into eurorack synths and fortunately beat it down.

What’s a TLR? I know what an SLR is but have never heard of a TLR.

Ivan

3 Likes

I have owned a few very expensive ($5,000) cameras… get an iPhone :joy:…. And get the yo-yo.

6 Likes

Get the yo. Except get a Mantra.

1 Like

As someone who was invested lots of time and money in both photography and yo-yoing (I went to college to study photography), I suggest you go with the Kapital in this situation. I’ve found with photography that less is often more, and I get better use out of my cameras if I have less to choose between. If the decision was between film or a yo-yo, I may have a different answer. If you already have some SLRs you could get a spare body cap and make a pinhole “lens” out of that for a few dollars, and if you enjoy the results making a fully-fledged pinhole camera is likely a much more fulfilling project than buying one.

I have lots of hobbies that compete with YoYos, but I’m someone who really cycles through interests fathering than doing all of them simultaneously. I’m currently going through a plastic modeling phase, but I also love cycling, synthesizers, and MTG. I’ve learned not to sell off collections because I regret it when I come back to a hobby in a few months or years

3 Likes

I have tried making a pinhole camera in the past and it didn’t work out for me. The one I am looking at uses 35mm.

My wife likes cycling. I can see how crazy that can get (money-wise).

Twin Reflex camera (TLR). The camera has two lenses one on top of the other. The top lens you view your shot and the bottom lens is in line with the film.

2 Likes

If you want a challenge you dont need to ball out, just buy some vintage film and get yoyo

1 Like

I used to do plastic modeling as well! Still have my Bismarck, Type 21 U-boat, Titanic and A-10 warthog from when I was a kid. And my Warhammer 40k army from when I was a grownup kid. :smiley:

@gio I’ve never seen a TLR in that case, I would’ve remembered that dual-lens thing for sure! Now I gotta look em up!

Ivan

2 Likes

Hmmm, that sounds like something I could do. I’ll defiantly look into that.

I can’t say that I am a good photographer and yes my main goal is to get good photos. Honestly, the main portion of the fun for me is using and learning about the old gear. I love how old mechanical things work. Yes, it’s the film that makes the shots not the camera.

I think posting this question on a yoyo forum made the decision for you, since everyone is so biased. We can all give you affirmation for your purchase of another yoyo!

Happy throwing

1 Like

I wonder what the people on the photography forum said?

Ivan

1 Like

Buy more film before another price increase. :rofl:

3 Likes

Simple answer> If choosing between the two, but a camera. You can always end up with another yo-yo one way or another.

A camera is much more versatile, functional, useful, and you can capture memorable moments that will last much longer than remembering a trick you could never learn.

Also, the film does not take the image. The lease captures the image. The camera is primarily a light tight box that holds the film or memory card. Obviously, the quality of the film or memory card will/can/does result in a different yield.

Trust me…. Spend money on a camera.

2 Likes

I made a pinhole camera in highschool it’s pretty easy

2 Likes

My hobbies that share the yo-yo fund are high end headphones and photography. I know the guy who makes Cameradactyl pinholes. Really nice guy. Really neat self developing product if you wanna just dabble and have fun. I’ve been eyeing one myself. It’s both a pinhole and a developing chamber at the same time! But my degree is in media arts and film tech so I might be biased.

Also I will never be not amused by the fact he named it Pinholio.

3 Likes

Thank you. That was a lot of the reason why I got into photography in the first place. A few family members get a little annoyed with me for snaping their photos but I also see how they react when they look at photos of family members that have passed. It is important to have those memories.

1 Like

I’m not sure if that is the same one that I saw featured on photography online but it is a similar concept. I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Photography, Yoyo, GUITAR, bicycling, computer programming, stamp collecting, writing…

I’m retired. :wink:

2 Likes

I use my GoPro more than my swirls…

1 Like

Guitar, mandolin, photography, yoyos … have built a few guitars and mandolins. I’ve got some beautiful woods stacked downstairs, and that’s what I really should be spending my time on. But these damned yoyos …

1 Like