Selling question...

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but since it isn’t technically my B/S/T thread and more just general information, I thought it may go here.

I am looking to purge my collection of some of my less used yoyos (also get some money for other stuff) and I was wondering if someone could help give me a rundown on how this works. Correct me if and when I am wrong/ add more info when needed.

1. Decide what yoyos I want to sell and clean them up.
  2. Decide what I feel is a fair price and what my minimum I would take is.
  3. Set up my own B/S/T on this forum. Put pictures of the yoyos and their defects (using the thread on names of defects and so on)
  4. Bump once a day if wanting to.
  5. Wait for a pm.
  6. Check to see the persons trade history.
  7. If everything seems legitimate, trade information.
  8. Package the stuff up with lots of protection, keeping halves separate.
    (this is where I start questioning things more)
  9. Send the person a request for money via Paypal.
  10. Once payment is received I send out the package and send the person the tracking number?

Also do people find it offensive if one is to ask other people on the thread if they are a reputable purchaser/ seller? Can I make a thread asking about these things?

Thanks for any help/ guidance!

Looks good to me except for the bit about asking if they are reputable. Everyone will answer that in the affirmative. It’s kind of useless and shows your naivete.

Also for the paypal part, don’t accept payment as a gift. Make sure they pay you for goods and services so you have the paypal protection.

When I sell, I usually ship in a USPS Priority Mail box. The post office will deliver the empty boxes to you for free. Sometimes I take the yoyo apart, sometimes I don’t, I’ve received yoyos both ways, haven’t had a problem…yet.

Also, I echo what jhb8426 said, PayPal goods and services only. No need to lead an unscrupulous buyer into temptation. I also recommend not shipping until receiving payment, and shipping through Paypal’s link to USPS. Just some added protection for you.

1 Like

It sounds like you are just selling. In this instance, “trade history” doesn’t matter quite as much. Even if the buyer has zero feedback, as long as they pay you via Paypal when the funds are due, their part of the deal is done. As a seller, you will have most of the responsibility to describe the item appropriately, pack it properly, mail it on time, and communicate shipping and tracking information.

On the other hand, that trade history is extremely important when trading and buying. But, if you’re just selling,make sure they are paying with Paypal, via goods and services. I would let them know a deadline to pay via Paypal too. If they don’t pay on time, the item can be made available to others.

I don’t take the yo-yo apart when I ship, and stores don’t either. I consider that part a matter of personal preference. It sounds like you have a good grasp on this. Let us know how it works out.

My suggestion is that if you ever get around to “trading,” if you have to ask about the reputation of the other party, you shouldn’t trade with them. When you start out, just use reputable traders with loads of great feedback, already posted to their profile.

Thanks everyone for the help!

So spring break has come so I will probably start attempting soon. I had one more question though. I receive the payment on PayPal and then when I buy something using PayPal will it automatically use that money or do I have to choose for it to use that money?

It’ll use the money you just got! I didn’t have to choose but maybe there’s a way you could double check. Always works fine for me though!

That was an insanely fast reply! Thanks

And, if the funds in your Paypal account are insufficient to cover your purchase, the remainder will be deducted from another source, such as your bank account. Before you confirm the final payment, you will be advised of the source of the funds, whether it’s Paypal funds, another account, or both.

I’m sorry for asking so many questions but how do you add pictures to it? I am having issues doing it… (Technology isn’t exactly my strong skill)
Do I just hit the choose file and pick it from there and it will go on it?

Pictures?? How do you post them?!

I see that you’re using the app! If you want to do it all on mobile you can. Just tap the addition symbol to the left of the text box. Once there you should be in a new screen where you can take a photo with your camera or add from your roll. You can upload video too.

if there is money involved, NEVER feel ashamed to check the reputation of the other party by any reasonable means.

for the last two steps, I usually just give a person my paypal account username (email address) and have them send the money to me as they please (if I am buying, however, I always send the money via the pay for goods or services option.) I usually have my yoyos packaged up but not paid for the shipping before I receive the money for my yoyos, so that when I do get the money I am prepared to ship the yoyo out as timely as possible. always provide tracking as soon as it is available.

So if someone ASKS to SEND me money via gifts, that’s fine or should I ask them to do it via goods and services?

If they want to send it to you as a gift that’s fine. If you are buying from someone always do it as goods and services. That way YOU get the paypal buyer protection.

Personally, I don’t think this is the best idea. As TA said:

Before I sell and ship a yoyo, I test it to see how smooth it is. If it’s nice and smooth I can label it as “smooth/vibe free” and know that when I ship it out, it’s in that condition.

However when you take it apart, you then cannot be 100% sure that when it is re-assembled the other end it will be as smooth as it was when you tested it. If the person at the other end puts it together and all of a sudden it’s vibey, you have a problem on your hands… so you’re potentially setting yourself up for hassle.

As far as I’m concerned, I like to ship out yoyos knowing that they leave me in the exact condition described. If the person the other end decides to unscrew it and start playing about with it and then it becomes vibey, then any issues from then on is their fault, but I feel that forcing them to reassemble the yoyo with the knowledge that it could end up going wrong isn’t a risk I like to take.

Again, each to their own… but I like to ship my yoyos in one piece. :slight_smile:

1 Like