School?

I think you’ve got a pretty good idea there. I was actually going to do the same thing until I found out my dad applied to WSU for me (don’t tell anyone :-X) and I got accepted, and I only agreed to go there because of the fantastic learning disabilities program they have. I do have one piece of advice: don’t get hung up on your plan to go into business/economics. As you progress through high school you might find something which you think is more interesting, and that’s ok. My girlfriend has changed her major 5 times already, and we haven’t even graduated high school yet. Just don’t make the same mistake she did and get upset every time you think you’ve found something that interests you more.

Personally, I would go to community college for the first two years of your post-secondary, and then transfer up to a higher-end university. It’s what I plan on doing, and it’s a fairly solid (and cheap) plan to get your future educations set. Go two years of General Education and then start specializing.
Also, you’d be surprised how little initiative you’d take if you were paid. If you don’t take initiative in school, payment isn’t going to make you change all that much.

I went to a community college and transferred to Cal State Long Beach. Choose your major early, the counselors will try to persuade you to pick all gen ed and stuff that wint apply to your AA depending upon the major to “try it out” or “see if you like it” or whatever the excuse may be the sooner you choose the sooner you will achieve your goal. I Graduated last May and none of my friends have gotten a degree yet. My friend will be graduating at the end of this month from an Internet college. Don’t go to one of those. Go to a state university that is known for your chosen Major when it is time to transfer.

Whatever major you choose don’t pick criminal justice.

Well… I’m 18 and I am also interested in stocks bonds, real estate investing, and entrepreneurship … I also had very terrible grades my first two years in high school…

What I have found is that it dosnt hurt you in any way to know everything you can, so take advantage of your free classes you have right in front of you… You don’t need ap’s or anything unless you want… Contrary to popular belief you don’t need college for a post seconday education, I plan, after the remaining days I have in school, to find a small business in my down town and learn how to operate it directly on the job…

Bottom line is, you have a free education, use it to your advantage … Don’t be disgruntled at the work it takes… Some of it might just pay off

Uhurdoftaxe$?

Thanks guys, This really means a lot that you are willing to help me. I don’t think I will change what I want to do. (Unless it is teaching, 3% chance)

Could I ask why?

There are then a lot of ‘reckless spenders’ the grid for ‘reckless spending’ has changed a lot from 20 years it seems

Criminal Justice should not be allowed as a Major. You can only get a job in the public sector as a cop. The government has no money and unless you’ve got friends to give you “an in” then it’s ridiculously hard to get a job. I’ve been trying to get my career going since last May. I’m talking 20-30 apps a month. Without experience and people on the inside it’s not worth it. I’m wishing I had gone to school for business or marketing or even a machine shop fabricator.

Criminal Justice really is a useless major. The only reason people take it is because it is easier than pre-law, and people think it helps with law school

CHILD I can not stand to read everything that is listed, but I get the point. Let me just start by saying that though you may never use the Pythagorean Theorem to find X. You may never really care about the economic state of the country after World War 2. (Or you might with political interest) You may never find a use for all the time you put in at wood shop, and I could go on, BUT. School is not just learning for the sake job application and making money. It teaches you life skills. Analytical Logic from math for example. You may never need to know that sinx is approximatey x-x^3/3!+x^5/5!etc, but in showing that you can learn something as complicated as algebra, or calculus you show that you can adapt, and that you have more value than a trained monkey.

Stay in school kids. Some people can get by without it, but most people can’t.

1 Like

Life skills from math? This is coming from someone who used the Pythagorean theorem as you said in seventh grade, and that still seems silly to me. You learn life skills by doing things, or by thinking about them. Analytical logic doesn’t come from learning algebra, but by being able to learn and trying to learn new things.

Well I think math is taught today because of it’s rich history. Its gives us something complex to think about that isn’t just a “push this button push that button kinda dealy”. Furthermore Math is in just about everything. Numbers maybe not, but math is in everything. Though the laws that govern Algebra may not follow you in every aspect of life. Math is there my friend.

Also no person is born with the ability to learn. You need to learn to learn. Wow bad word choice. Study habits are taught in Junior High and High School. Believe your teachers show you how to study more than you know. Don’t believe me just go to a college lecture. None of that hand holding crap there. A typical day looks like “Here’s a principle for yah the test is in a week. PEACE.”

Because of the deficiencies in the educational system, they need to work to the lowest common denominator.

Yes there are, both individuals and in government.

I found this, and thought that it would be interesting to post it here.

“Bear in mind that the wonderful things you learn in your schools are the work of many generations. All this is put in your hands as your inheritance in order that you may receive it, honor it, add to it, and one day faithfully hand it on to your children.” -Albert Einstein.

Not going to lie, I don’t want kids.

Isn’t that there are differant classes, for kids who are accelerated and kids who are not?

Also I was knockin’ on the ridiculous scenarios given to us for no reason, instead of giving us the straight forward problem.

That is an excelent point

Isn’t that there are differant classes, for kids who are accelerated and kids who are not?

Also I was knockin’ on the ridiculous scenarios given to us for no reason, instead of giving us the straight forward problem.
[/quote]
I think I can explain a few case scenarios.

You will learn about Matrices, as early as algebra two (possibly sooner). People think they are stupid and useless, but they’re used in mass data scenarios. Like environmental studies on the spread of pollution, Distribution of Liquids through huge tanks (think Refineries or even mass production of domestic products) Even our friends at Google use Matrix theory for there search engine. Now why don’t they show you this prior to college. Answer is I still can’t fully explain it after a two courses that strictly focus on Matrix theory… Well mostly Matrix theory. Real examples are hard. Teachers do the same when teaching special relativity. Instead of teaching about the Crazy effects of Pions coming towards the earth, and breaking the rules of traditional physics You get to learn about what would happen if a ship could ever travel at relativistic speeds. Why it’s simplified, and it gives you a basis for real world examples.

I think I can explain a few case scenarios.

You will learn about Matrices, as early as algebra two (possibly sooner). People think they are stupid and useless, but they’re used in mass data scenarios. Like environmental studies on the spread of pollution, Distribution of Liquids through huge tanks (think Refineries or even mass production of domestic products) Even our friends at Google use Matrix theory for there search engine. Now why don’t they show you this prior to college. Answer is I still can’t fully explain it after a two courses that strictly focus on Matrix theory… Well mostly Matrix theory. Real examples are hard. Teachers do the same when teaching special relativity. Instead of teaching about the Crazy effects of Pions coming towards the earth, and breaking the rules of traditional physics You get to learn about what would happen if a ship could ever travel at relativistic speeds. Why it’s simplified, and it gives you a basis for real world examples.
[/quote]
For some reason I find matrices annoying. Not hard to understand… but annoying to work with.

You need to learn how to learn how to learn? That’s kind of confusing… it seems like it’s kind of exponential. The more you learn, the more you can learn, the more you learn, the more you can learn, the more you learn…

^ It really does feel annoying at the start because you only get the rules no explanation. But when you a situation which involves 6 different equations with six variables for example
6x-5y+4z-6r+2s+4t(Six different ways) and you want to know what z is in some random situation You’ll love knowing basic matrix theory.
What if you don’t get that far? Then you got all the other courses teaching you a foundation for something your gonna want to know to be successful.