SCALES Vol 3 Contest - Q&A and WIN

both :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pay attention to the system. Take advantage of bonuses and don’t ignore any of the evaluation categories!

1 Like

Patrick explained it well - we initially started with focus to improve our competitive skill, but over time we decided it would be a good contribution to shake up yo-yo with analysis videos, online competitions, etc.

4 Likes

who founded Scales? and when?

1 Like

The name? I honestly have no idea :joy: It might have something to do with how music scales are so fundamental to success in being a good player and translating that idea to yoyo.

Fun fact, the ‘Scales’ ad-lib in our freestyles is actually just a sample from a Gang Starr song called ‘Skills’ -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KgtGs1ny0k

3 Likes

Everyone would be there! You’d be surprise how much space you have when you live in a minimalist apartment :joy: only connnors doing it remotely, or we might get a live hologram of him

3 Likes

We feel pretty good about being able to offer up a really cool online platform for yoyo contests, so in the short term I think we’re going to keep running these online events and continually improve them with feedback from players. It’s cool to be able to offer one of the biggest cash prizes in yoyo, alongside tons of great amateur prize packs, so we’ll definitely keep trying to do that.

In the long run, I think the more in-person yoyo events we can help run, the better. Contest or not.

1 Like

Andrew Bergen and Ky Zizan were the original two Scales team members. Shortly after, Dennis, Colin, Nehemiah, Zaf and Keiran joined the squad and that’s when Scales started to take off. This was around LVO 2014, so we really got started December 2014-January 2015

4 Likes

Hello,
I would like to ask you when will be the stream of amateur division.
Thanks

1 Like

thanks for the reply.

1 Like

The judging system rewards points for yoyo trick elements, and the trick list is the building blocks of these elements! You can definitely create a freestyle by linking these tricks together. If you take a look at the analysis videos on the scales youtube channel, you can spot some ‘basic’ tricks in some of the highest level freestyles – with points rewarded accordingly.

5 Likes

Hopefully ill make it to lv open once again i wanna meet more people that would be lit

1 Like

Is Levi your middle name?

1 Like

Would a cool mom or dad be disappointed by the lyrics of Champagne Supernova?

5 Likes

I just registered for the Pro Division!

4 Likes

Besides hitting a clean routine, what is the most important aspect to focus on when creating a solid performance?

1 Like

Schedule will be released early next week on Scales social media platforms - stay tuned :slight_smile:

1 Like

In a standard competition, there’s usually performance categories that are really important to pay attention to in order to succeed. Things like music use, space use, body control, and showmanship guide people to putting on a cool overall ‘show’ for the audience. However, in Scales Open, the focus is definitely trick-centric… there’s no need to focus on the performance aspect so heavily outside of musicality. Focusing on risk, rareness, zoning, and more aspects of yo-yo that make tricks look more interesting helps a lot in this case - check out the full rules here!
https://scalescollective.com/scales-open-rules

5 Likes

About to go live on Scales Live! Tune in for some yo-yo fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

feel free to use it :slight_smile:

3 Likes