SCALES Vol 3 Contest - Q&A and WIN

I don’t know if this has been asked previously…but how did Scales start initially and what were your objectives when it all started?

1 Like

How can I break the system like Connor ?

2 Likes

Iggy is that you?

How can I create a good freestyle when I only play a trick list (for example, soiled panties, rancid milk or ladder escape), Is it possible to create a freestyle from these tricks? I registered in Amateur competitor.

2 Likes

Which do you all like to judge/watch the most? Seeing new faces get their first taste of a yo-yo contest so they can become better and more confident players or watch the pros step up their game even higher to be the best in the competition?

2 Likes

Yes it is I

2 Likes

What is the last date and time I can upload an entry?

Upload cutoff will be 12pm EST on the 14th.

1 Like

I registered for the amateur division. I have never competed before and am wondering if I do a double on regularly then do it on my neck or arm, will it count for points the second time?

1 Like

nope

1 Like

Great Question!

At a high level, Scales was originally formed as a competitive team of yoyo players who were all hoping to improve our yoyoing by working together, understanding the judging system and finding new ways to do great yoyo routines.

After we did this for a few years and felt satisfied with where we were at competitively, we decided to focus a little more heavily on giving back to the community. That’s kind of where we’ve been at for a few years.

4 Likes

What inexpensive or slimline/organic YoYo would you love to see used for a freestyle? Are you going to give bonus points for plastic this year?

What made you guys want to start scales? The yo-yo community needs more content like this.

1 Like

Where did the name scales come from? And who is the one saying “scales” in ur podcast opening thing (ya know the “SCALES scales s c a l e s”)

1 Like

How has the scales open changed over time for you and competitors and what are the goals for the future with scales open? (Could be short term or long term)

2 Likes

this thread right now:

3 Likes

Do regents count as a click? If Beckos Buckets are too big, who has to carry them? If Patric Canny makes a flag on a stage, is he too swag?

1 Like

Can the music be put in later or does it need to be playing “live”?

1 Like

Music can be added in later.

2 Likes

I think my response to Andre’s question does a good job at illustrating the changes over time.

For PRO…
Our first two competitions featured a slightly different judging system compared to #3. Both Vol. 1 and 2 featured a fully technically scored prelim round, which led to people definitely figuring out some sort of ‘formula’ as to how to construct their routines. This made things sort of homogenous in terms of what tricks people do, so for Vol. 3 we decided to add some evaluation categories which will allow for players with more unique/outside of the box styles to prosper in some way. We hope to see some more cool stuff out of prelims because of this…
We also changed up the finals scoring by weighting the technical score lower (50/100 points instead of the previous 60/100). In adding some more evaluation categories this time like risk, rareness, zoning, etc., we really hope to see players do something that isn’t just a clicker-advantageous freestyle. Hoping for a lot more variance in the tricks people do, and it’d be sick to see a lot of different song genres as well.

For AMATEUR…
It’s honestly just been great to see the division grow so much since last time. We already have 2x the number of competitors signed up for this division compared to last time which has me STOKED. Excited to see a lot of new faces in this one!

Long term, I have three main goals. One of which is to come up with a viable system for scoring X division. Two is to make Scales Open a perfect experience for newer/amateur competitors through providing more detailed feedback and perhaps using a more comprehensive system. Lastly, I’d love to see Scales Open be the most competitive contest in the world. Of course we may never see as many entrants as there are at Worlds, however through giving competitors the option to go as clean as they’d like, we think the level of competition would be something we’ve never seen before. Bonus, I also plan to raise cash prizes over time as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes