SCALES Vol 3 Contest - Q&A and WIN

Q&A time with SCALES! :fire:

Have a question about Scales Open Vol 3? Ask here & now!

Or a question about judging, contest, freestyle building, best trick practices, etc? Scales has some great expertise to bring to the table and that is what this thread is for! @ColinBecko and the Scales crew will be here to answer your questions today and tomorrow (Thursday/Friday)!

Reply below with a question and you could win $25 to YoYoExpert!

Two ways to win!

• Scales will pick their ā€˜favoriteā€™ question.
  • Reply in this thread if you entered to compete - and one of you will win too - random draw!

###Vol 3 Contest info:
This is their third online yoyo contest next Saturday February 15th! Their is a pro and amateur round so even if this is your first freestyle its a great way to get introduced to freestyle play and get some feedback or just have fun putting together a one minute routine!

Cost is only $10 for Amateur! Do it! :100:

8 Likes

I have a first question for you @ColinBecko & @Scales!

Is there something SCALES is hoping to see in Volume 3 contest freestyles (Amateur or Pro) that you have not seen from Volume 1 or Volume 2?

2 Likes

What are the prizes(if that can be revealed) of amateur?

1 Like

Totally!
For PROā€¦
Our first two competitions featured a slightly different judging system compared to #3. Both Vol. 1 and 2 featured a fully technically scored prelim round, which led to people definitely figuring out some sort of ā€˜formulaā€™ as to how to construct their routines. This made things sort of homogenous in terms of what tricks people do, so for Vol. 3 we decided to add some evaluation categories which will allow for players with more unique/outside of the box styles to prosper in some way. We hope to see some more cool stuff out of prelims because of thisā€¦
We also changed up the finals scoring by weighting the technical score lower (50/100 points instead of the previous 60/100). In adding some more evaluation categories this time like risk, rareness, zoning, etc., we really hope to see players do something that isnā€™t just a clicker-advantageous freestyle. Hoping for a lot more variance in the tricks people do, and itā€™d be sick to see a lot of different song genres as well.

For AMATEURā€¦
Itā€™s honestly just been great to see the division grow so much since last time. We already have 2x the number of competitors signed up for this division compared to last time which has me STOKED. Excited to see a lot of new faces in this one!

Most importantly, Iā€™m hoping players have a good experience out of this, regardless of if itā€™s their first contest or if theyā€™ve been to many events! Being able to work on these online event really has me hopeful for the future of yo-yoing, and I canā€™t wait to see how our contests are even 1 year from now.

8 Likes

Funny you asked this! We are legit just now confirming these. Here is a Forum exclusive announcement of Amateur prizes:

1ST PLACE AMATEUR
C3 Berserker Max Champion Edition
SF Motive
UNPRLD ReCognition
50x Sochi T String

2ND PLACE AMATEUR
CLYW Boy
Duncan Tourney
CoreCo Qubit
50x Sochi T String

3RD PLACE AMATEUR
YoYoFriends Magpie
Rain City SK8R
G2 Easy Campaign
50x Sochi T String

In Pro, weā€™ll also be doing a little random giveaway for people who did not advance to finals as well as an award for the highest placing unsponsored player!

10 Likes

Can you list all of the contest sponsors in less than 10 seconds?

4 Likes

How did scales ā€œcollectā€? Have new people joined the collective? If so, how did they do it?
Good luck to competitors!

2 Likes

What are the Specs of the Scales Open Vol 3? YYE forgot to list them.

2 Likes

What separates the amateurs from the pros? Iā€™d like to compete but i know iā€™m not good enough compared to the people here. If everyone who hasnā€™t competed joins amateurs, there is a huge spectrum of people encompassed by the word ā€œamateurā€. Someone better than Gentry who has never entered a tourney could hypothetically enter amateurs. Do the judges have a benchmark, so if they see this hypothetical ā€œgentryā€, they will move him to pros? And if there is a benchmark, what is it?

2 Likes

On air I will try my best. Iā€™m up for a challenge :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Iā€™m registered! Who will be judging? there canā€™t be room in Markā€™s apartment for Zaf, Remy, Connor, Collin, Patrick, Mark, and Bergy lol

1 Like

Myself, Remy, Bergy, and Mark will be clicking from Markā€™s apartment, and Patrick, Connor, and Zafran will be doing evals remotely :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OOhhh okay

1 Like

does the question have to be about Scales? :wink:

2 Likes

How often do you plan on doing this contest?

I didnā€™t know anything about it before, but it seems like a very fun concept. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to film anything decent this time around, but would love to join in, in the future.

1 Like

I canā€™t wait, I have not signed up yet but I will this week

1 Like

We will definitely be hosting this contest 1 more time this year, perhaps twice?! Weā€™ll see. Definitely expect another one by the end of the year though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Didnā€™t Mark say that you will have 2 real and 2 online contests?

1 Like

We will see! Trying our best to see what happens but no promises yet.

1 Like

What yoyo do you expect to see the most number of people using for the scales open vol 3?

1 Like