RTV silicone vs. Flowable silicone

What is the difference between thoose two?

Flowable is similar to water, except not quite that flowable.

RTV is pretty thick and won’t level itself out in the recess.

1 Like

I got a tube of Dow Corning 732 Silicone, it doesnt say its RTV, does it have RTV caracteristics?

Maybe. It doesn’t hurt to try.

If I open a tube of flowable silicone and place it downward will it flowout or will it stay on the tube unless you squeeze it out like RTV?

A little would probably come out but not much because there would be no place for air to get into the tube then. (So that you don’t create a vaccuum inside of it.)

Can we use rtv silicone to make yoyo pads?

You can use the red RTV or flowable. Some like the grip from the red vs flowable. The technique to apply is different.

2 Likes

I can only afford rtv silicone now. What’s the time to be dried?

1 Like

At an auto store they should be about the same price if not a dollar or so apart. 24hrs dry time.

3 Likes

I am buying red gasket maker

Not sure where your getting it. RTV is 8.99 at Oriellys Auto and Flowable Silicone is 5.99. Just did a quick search.

Flowable is easier to use with more consistent results in my opinion.

2 Likes

On Amazon

This was the first one I seen. If possible go to the auto part store. Honestly it will be cheaper and easier to use.

In our country rtv is cheaper than flowable silicone.

Quite inconsiderate of me. If it is significantly cheaper and that is all you can get, then by all means, it will work just fine. Some prefer the response of the RTV vs Silicone. It will be grippier and will break in a bit. The key is to make sure there is no air bubbles.

2 Likes

This a great vid by Dylan, not sure if he is a member here.

3 Likes

Thank you .

1 Like

Just an FYI for anybody who is willing to listen. RTV and flowable silicone are two completely different products. yes, they do the same thing. but they way you apply them and the performance they offer are very different IMO. Flowable silicone is more beginner-friendly because it is somewhat self-leveling and it is much easier to clean up any residual silicone. However, I find that it does not offer near as much gripping power as RTV. However, if you use RTV, it’s much harder make sure the entire response area is filled and you can easily make a mess if you are not careful.

personally, I use RTV exclusively because it just performs better, and I think a lot of people will agree with me. but if you’re just starting out, I would recommend going with flowable silicone and then making the switch once you have perfected your technique.

but do whatever ya want, I ain’t ya daddy.

5 Likes