Which is better? Flowable silicone or RTV red silicone?

Like the title says, which is better flowable silicone windshield/glass sealant or Red RTV silicone high temp??

2 Likes

Flowable is a lot easier to work with.

As for what is better play wise, no idea

1 Like

I like those clear ones better, less of a mess when cleaning it up after applying and easier to remove when compared to red rtv silicone which is stickier.

Also, red rtv has a strong vinegar type of smell that I feel sick after inhaling.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! Also, one more question in a video of how to flowable silicone a yoyo a guy says that you should take the nostril thingy off and throw away the silicone in the tube. Is that correct or is there a way that you don’t have to waste any silicone?

1 Like

There is one way, you do about 50 yoyo in one sitting

2 Likes

lol I don’t have that many yoyos.

1 Like

Is it possible that you could like stick something in the hole so that it doesn’t dry?

1 Like

I don’t think there is, not that I know of.

Although I did see a cool trick, you stick a screw in the silicon before it dries and next time you can just pull the screw out to take the waste silicon out easily

2 Likes

Ok, BTW does that ruin the entire bottle or just the extra in the tube?

1 Like

ah okay so when you silicone you put the needle nose thing on right?

After you are done you screw this off and put the cap back on the rest of the bottle, and for the needle nose thing put a bolt in it (not throught the thin end, through the wide end)

Next time you go to use it, pull the screw and the entire silicone bit inside the needlenose should come out clean.

1 Like

You can put a proper diameter nail in it.

2 Likes

seal the hole and stick it in the fridge. With a very big label. Don’t put it near anything where it could be mistaken for a food type product.

2 Likes

will that make the silicone in the needle nose thingy reusable?

1 Like

difficult to say without seeing the nozzle. It all depends on curing. usually the bit of silicone right at the very end cures but you can usually pull that bit out when next you use.
In essence keep the air away from the siicone and keep chilled, all as best you can. It still won’t last forever but you’ll get quite a few months.
As an experiment get a tube of ordinary bathroom silicone sealent thats been partly used seal it up, put in fridge and see how long it lasts. I tried this a while ago when i did the reponse on a 360 i had. Put the tube in the fridge and it was still ok after 6 wks. Only reason i threw it out was my wife was getting annoyed. (it looked like squirty mayo tube). :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t actually have the bottle yet but am thinking about getting it if it’s worth it.

2 Likes

That’s how I store it… covered the head with aluminium foil and pack it within two layers of zip lock bags. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Both silicones are great. I think rtv is what ilyy uses as their sillycone and it has lasted forever in my wasabi. I prefer the feel a the red too.

2 Likes

maybe this discussion from a few years ago might help you …

I’ve tried both blue rtv, red rtv, and flowable. Flowable is the easiest to work with as it self levels. Red and blue take some finesse as you have to level it with an old card.

My question is, how do you store silicone so it doesn’t dry up in the tube?

If you do this will it save the silicone inside the funnel thingy?