Flowable silicone silliness

Hey guys! I’m not sure if there is a master thread for this topic or not and if there is I apologize!
But
I wanted to share my first flowable silicone experience!

I’ve got a RCS duccv2 and it is a little narrow in the way that it gives itself an autobind and pads are super grippy.so after trying various different manufacturer pads grippy, regular, slick it was still doing it. Mind you it’s not a problem with the yoyo or a problem I can’t handle just a slight annoyance when I go to grind or slack and it binds.

So I tried flowable, did my research and found some rtv silicone to use. I applied it then wiped away all of the excess, because I was needing less response I recessed the silicone into the groove for the pads, let it cure 24hrs and it’s exactly what I wanted.

Since it’s my first time it definitely doesn’t look as pretty as it could but I like it a lot I just need to clean it up a bit next time. No more binding on its own even with fat string, and when I do want to bind it’s snappy and doesn’t miss.

I was hesitant to try this at first due to the work involved but after having done it I see how the ability to dial the response in to exactly what you want is a benefit. Will u do it to every yoyo? No. But I will do it on yoyos that I want to respond a certain way, maybe even on my daily throws if I need to change existing pads.

15 Likes

Flowable silicone all the way! After the pads wear out on whatever throw came with them I always silicone. Best response control, smooth, less friction etc etc etc. You say you won’t use it on every throw but you will after using one or two with it trust me :joy:

5 Likes

Flowing your own silicone is also sometimes the only way to restore the response on old throws that use pads nobody makes anymore. It’s a good skill to have. I’ve only tried it once. The results were quite good, and so I feel pretty confident in doing it for any throw that might come into my collection.

7 Likes

Yeee silicone is epic. And mega cheap in the long run.

4 Likes

I see that, $5 - $10 tube of silicone vs like $5 for a pair of pads, or a bundle for $20 or whatever it is. funny thing I never had to replace pads and was told a lot of times they just don’t wear out but yeah I change pads regularly now haha!

2 Likes

I use Arexon red silicone from lot of years and I love it, I do it in every single yoyo I have, the pads last ages if you do it properly, there is a much smoother response for bind and strings tricks where you go against the natural rotation of the yoyo, when I have a new yoyo the first thing I do is to silicone pads it!

4 Likes

I change all my throws to flowable when the pads wear out. I find the process soothing (when it goes right the first time) and I’m a cheapskate. I also like the feel because a lot of the G2 throws I was getting were really slippy out of the box. Not when I put silicone.

6 Likes

Agree about the process, I like to do it in the night where I do not want to play anymore but just chill with a movie in the background, for me is impossible to stay still, I need always something which I can fidget and in those “dead” times is nice to do some yoyo setup and care

5 Likes

Jared.
I noticed that on a G2 I got. Before I did flowable I needed to put in pads that were extra thick and then use really fat string. Now I’ll try to flow the pads and see if that makes it better!

1 Like

Lol! Said it wouldn’t happen. But it did. I’m addicted. Second one flowed but this time for no reason haha!

6 Likes

It doesn’t take long before the pouring (and recessing) of the silicone becomes the easy part, and it’s the 24-hour wait for the curing that becomes the hardest part.

6 Likes

Yes! Exactly haha. I had it all set and it was good then I set it on the table and just stared. This ouroboros is my current edc so I was just like I won’t be able to use this tomorrow, then I did some retrospective life evaluation, then I grabbed another one for the next day haha!

2 Likes

Just slapped a tube of permatex on my latest Amazon order. Should have it tomorrow. Will update Sunday with results.

6 Likes

My advice is do it on a throw you don’t normally use that much first try. And just keep wiping off that excess stuff from your throw and the tip of the cap while it’s still fresh. I’m only speaking from personal experience, but my first couple tries were awful and messy and made the throw responsive for awhile. I used wayyy to much and it got around the halves of the throw etc lol. You’ll do a much better job than me I’m sure but just lookin out for ya!

2 Likes

Sup guys, can you tell if it possible to silicone 0.555 sized recess? I want to silicone my project, I’m out of pads and it’s difficult for me to get the 0.555 ones and currently last pair of dif-e-yo black smooth pads are set in my project, but it paints parts of my string in black and it looks dirty after throwing for like 2 hours… Thanks for your input!

Yes, it can be done, but it does not last long.

3 Likes

The waiting is 100 percent the hardest part.

2 Likes

Mmm fresh silicone

8 Likes

Please how did you manage this perfect application?

I wasn’t siliconing from years, I did it Saturday and didn’t came out nice as always cause I am a bit out of practice and didn’t use a syringe because I forget to buy it.

My result is pretty “meh” this time, I think I have to do it again after I buy a proper syringe.

Have tried for the first time the Permatex 81160 High-Temp Red RTV, I can say that is exactly like the Arexons Motorsil D that is so famous in Italy and Europe (and was what I used to use before move in UK), colour, smell and result is literally the same.

Even if the application I did is horrible the yoyo work exactly like if I used the Arexons, the response feel exactly the same, so you guys didn’t miss anything on the Arexons stuff that I have seen so much appreciated around.

Happy to have found the perfect replacement and easy to find in UK (find Motorsil here is really impossible and has to be ordered from Italy), I will keep using the Permatex from now on and I will have to try to get used to it again!

1 Like

For the red stuff I use the corner of a credit card to smooth the top. Beyond that I think you just have to practice. I think the clear flowable is probably a bit easier to use as it is not as firm as the red, and should settle into the groove slightly.

1 Like