Flowable Silicone: FAQ

Here’s a quick FAQ on Flowable silicone.

Index
*Is Flowable silicone really that good?
*Is Flowable silicone better than any other type of silicone?
*Should I put Flowable silicone in my _______ brand Yo-Yo?
*I have a Yo-Yo that uses Flowable silicone, and it isn’t working anymore.
*How long does Flowable silicone last?
*How do I get Flowable silicone in my Yo-Yo?
*Where do I get Flowable silicone?
*Is VersaChem® Flowable silicone better than any other brand’s?

Is Flowable silicone really that good?
Flowable silicone can generally provide a smooth, reliable response for any unresponsive Yo-Yo with a deep recessed groove. Plus, it’s really easy to install, unlike many other types of silicone. So the answer is probably yes. But don’t take my word for it; Here’s what some actual people who have used Flowable silicone think (I found these quotes around the internet):

“I love this stuff. It’s unresponsive but gives extremely tight binds. excellent response system.”

“Got this stuff in my Lyn Fury now, I was immediately pleased! Super smooth and great binds.”

“Just put this stuff in my Yo-Yo. Went in so smooth, evened out like a dream. Soooo much easier than other silicone I’ve tried.”

“Phew. I stopped using RTV, and switched to flowable. The difference is noticed immediately, because the flowable is self-leveling. No breaking in and nice tight binds! If you don’t use flowable, start using it.”

Is it better than any other type of silicone?
Well that all depends on your preference. Some people might think Flowable silicone is the best response out there, but they might not be using the same Yo-Yo as you. Different types of silicone perform differently in different Yo-Yos (go figure) so you’ll just have to try it all out yourself and see what you like better.

Should I put Flowable silicone in my _______ brand Yo-Yo?
I don’t know. It all depends on what kind of response system your Yo-Yo had before. Flowable silicone generally works in any deep, recessed response grooves. If the groove is too shallow (like the kind for a Duncan friction sticker), the silicone might just pop out as soon as you try to use your Yo-Yo. I use Flowable in some of my YoYoJam Yo-Yos instead of a rubber O-ring, and I love it. I’ve even had success with flowable in a Yomega Maverick. If you think it could work in your Yo-Yo, try it out and see what you think!

I have a Yo-Yo that uses Flowable silicone, and it isn’t working anymore.
That’s probably because the silicone has worn out. In other words, your string has “disintegrated” most of the silicone in the groove and there isn’t enough left to provide a reliable response. To take the old silicone out, first unscrew your Yo-Yo. Next, take a sewing needle and gently push it diagonally into the Silicone. Carefully pull the silicone out with the needle. It should peel out like sticker, and leave no residue behind. Now you’re ready to put fresh silicone inside.

How long does Flowable silicone last?
That mainly depends on how often you use your Yo-Yo, and what type of Yo-Yo you’re putting it in. Though it will always wear out eventually, Flowable silicone tends to last quite a while. However, I will say this again: It depends on what type of Yo-Yo you’re putting it in.

How do I get Flowable silicone in my Yo-Yo?
A verbal explanation would only confuse you.
Here is a video of someone putting Flowable silicone in their Yo-Yo. Still, since Flowable silicone is clear, it’s kinda hard to see it in the video. So I’ve included a video of someone Siliconing a Yo-Yo with Red silicone, which is easier to see.

NOTE: Flowable silicone should NEVER be used before being allowed to dry for 24 hours. Use it any sooner and it will most likely pop out of the Yo-Yo’s groove during play.

NOTE: Red silicone is not the same as Flowable silicone. Flowable silicone would flow into the groove rather than sitting there like Icing.

Where do I get Flowable silicone?
YoYoExpert has added VersaChem® Flowable silicone to their inventory, which makes it very easy to obtain. However, most Auto-parts stores (Such as Auto-zone, Pep Boys, O’ Reilly’s, etc.) sell some sort of Flowable silicone for around 5 dollars. This is great when you need some fresh sili in your Yo-Yo, and you don’t want to wait for a package to ship.

Is VersaChem® Flowable silicone better than any other brand’s?
To my experience, the answer is no. Just about anything that says “Flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer” will work just as good.

VersaChem®                                          Permatex®
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ihv4n6.jpg                http://i54.tinypic.com/2sb8gnt.png

Well I hope some of you found this info useful :slight_smile: and please, feel free to leave a comment. I would really appreciate it. And I’m happy to answer any other questions about Flowable silicone if I can.

-Conner

24 Likes

I feel something sticky…

1 Like

Not dry silicone? :stuck_out_tongue: Couldn’t resist. BTW, great guide YoYoAce!

Lol, thanks guys :smiley:

If this topic really does help some people out, then I’ve done my job.

2 Likes

This needs to be stickied.

1 Like

So, so awesome. Very informational.

2 Likes

fantastic guide !!! but so sad that flowable silicon is not available in my country :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Just updated the FAQ.

It now has a picture of the VersaChem® Flowable silicone too :wink:

2 Likes

Great FAQ

surely. and thank you for being mostly-mature about this.

Update: Okay well this Topic was a sticky for a brief amount of time but it is now on the “List of useful Modification and Maintenance guides”, which can be found here http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,17792.0.html.

1 Like

this is great, it helped me and probably will help many others also. thank you :slight_smile:

Your welcome :wink:

Do you have to do both sides or just one?

*If your siliconing a Yo-yo with no response of any type in the groove, I recommend both sides.
*If your siliconing a Hybrid response, then yeah. Just do one side :stuck_out_tongue:
*If your siliconing a Yo-Yo with some other type of response on both sides (O-rings, K-pads, etc.) then replace it all with Flowable.
*If your siliconing a Yo-yo with Worn out Flowable silicone, than you can silicone one or both sides. Just remember to take out the old silicone on the side(s) your gonna put fresh silicone in. Remember, leaving worn out Flowable silicone in one side while putting fresh silicone in the other side will cause it to be slightly less response to a bind than it would be if you put fresh silicone in both sides.

If you want my best advice, tell me what Yo-Yo you’re putting it in and what level of response you’re trying to achieve :wink:

I am doing it to a DV888, with red RTV Silicone

Oh well then if your just trying to get it unresponsive just do both sides :wink:

(It may be just a bit responsive when you first silicone it but it’ll break in)

Wow, this was extremely helpful! The stock response in my J.O. fell out and I was worried until I did a little research. That was really easy! What’s the difference between Red RTV silicone, and flowable?

The temperatue at which it defaults. Flowable defaults at lower temperature than RTV, but yoyos never reach anywhere near the temperature needed.

Flowable is somewhat easier to use, seeing as it spreads out and does the work for you