differences between gasket makers

differences between the red rtv gasket maker and the normal permatex flowable silicone for windshields and stuff (basically the stuff sold on yye)

red is “high temp”
meaning it can withstand hotter temperatures, which makes no difference for yoyoing.
normal stuff (these numbers aren’t right, but they’re in the general ball park I think) can withstand around 450-550, whereas red high temp can withstand like 650-750.

last I checked, a yoyo doesn’t get that hot though. lol

1 Like

Are you sure about that? I think Mickey wears those gloves because he’s burning that yoyo up!

2 Likes

o ok

Flowable silicone is easier to apply to a yoyo since it basically flows into a groove but flowable silicone doesn’t last as long as Gasket Maker and is somewhat grippier. Gasket Maker is a thick silicone, that is a little harder to apply but can last longer than flowable. All silicone is RTV, which stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing, which means it dries at room temperature.

2 Likes

how long does normal permatex silicone last?

It can last a long time.

I don’t personally agree with people saying that flowable doesn’t last as long. But, my experience isn’t really with the other kinds of RTV silicone.

the rtv I get from the 99 cent store lasts quite some time. atleast a month if done properly, I’d say.

Once a month isn’t all that bad, although that doesn’t sound like a very long time. I mean, I could live with a monthly maintenance routine. I’d prefer a longer time between maintenance though.

1 Like

I didn’t get mine from the dollar store but mine lasts for like 3-4 months.

1 Like

once a month was a bit of an underestimate. I’ve only had to change it once in my lunatic. and I got my lunatic about 8 or 9 months ago. so about 3 or 4 would definitely be a much better estimate.

1 Like

That seems pretty much like what normal response pads should last.

Funny cause I went right through my Raptors pads in about 3 weeks.

Yeah, I play those particular ones every day.

Hey guys! I’m new to the page. I don’t yo-yo but my son Judah(6the grade) is really into it. He’s got a shutter trainer and went through two response pads pretty quickly. (He yo-yo’s a lot!) He read about the high temp rtv and we picked up some. I helped him out the first time and it seemed to go well(a bit messy) and he just took it all back apart yesterday to try it again. Is there any specific rtv that doesn’t shrink? We leveled off the rtv on the two ridges next to the spot where the response pad would go. I don’t think it shrank much but he was wondering if there was a kind/brand that would keep its form better. He’s very particular!

Hey, welcome to the forum to you and Judah.

Many of us use this silicone called Permatex Ultra grey, there is also a transparent version of it but it is much more grippy but easier to apply (not that the grey is hard honesty).
I think you can let Judah try them both (they not expensive) and then decide which one to use.
I prefer the grey, it is much more slippy and permit more layers of string around the bearing without have the response system “bite” on the string too hard, the transparent (still from Permatex) is much more aggressive and responsive.

Another advice is let the silicone rest for full 24hours before use the yoyo, if Judah has only one yoyo I advice to take a second one so while one is drying with the new silicone he can play the other yoyo

2 Likes

This is Judah. I have gone through a few response pads and it got kind of stressful. So I got red rtv silicone to try. It is hard to put in and I am excited to try permatex ultra grey.

1 Like

Hi Judah, yes mate the red one is much harder to put in and it crumbs very much (and also doesn’t work any better of the other), the only red silicone reliable is the Motorsil D which is easy to find in Italy but impossible to find in UK (not sure in USA). Go with the permatex ultra grey you can find it easy everywhere, a tube it last ages (at this point I lost the count of many yoyos I siliconed), if you play a lot like me (around 4/5 hours a day) you will have probably to silicone again every 2 months (I like the response pad very weared off).
Let us know how you find it, I tried many response pads and the permatex grey is for sure my fav

2 Likes

I heard somebody say something about flowable silicone. Is that good?

1 Like

The transparent Permatex, is much more grippy than the grey one, as the prices is not too high I would say maybe buy both grey and transparent and then try them both and decide which one you like the most

1 Like

ok, thanks

1 Like