Is flowable silicone any good?

Wondering if I should get flowable silicone.

2 Likes

It’s good. Get it.

2 Likes

Only if you want all the good binds with non of the snag

1 Like

prefer silicone to most pads, i like clear, but red and grey have a large fanbase as well

3 Likes

I’ve never bought replacement pads before. Once they go, silicone goes in. I silicone everything.

3 Likes

yes but you have to be patient with it, and it takes a few runs at it to get good.

if you’re a beginner as well, I would recommend pads until you can consistently bind an unresponsive yoyo.

4 Likes

Clear is pretty grippy but you can recess it for less response. Clear will also ware out the fastest. Grey is the least grippy, some people think it is slippy. Grey lasts the longest.

But yeah you have the patience, silicone is very good. Pads are good also but I prefer grey silicone.

1 Like

Don’t use red. It plays amazing. But it STINKS bad.

I use clear for the grip.

2 Likes

Is there a consensus on what to buy?

1 Like

They are all flowable silicone, but only one actually says “flowable” in huge letters on it. It’s clear and it’s the move.(for me anyways) I think they sell it here on YYE, but it can be found at hardware stores, auto stores, walmart and the like.

All the brands should be dang near the same. The colors do make a difference though.

From my gatherings

Red: plays the best, smells so bad it’s not worth it.

Grey: hardest, least grippy. Some say slippy even. I HATE slippy binds so i stay far away from grey.

Clear: best all around. Grippy, doesn’t last AS long as grey, still lasts forever, smells ok, plays great, similar to red in play feel.

Blue: possibly the grippist, but i’ve not tried blue in flowable form. I’ve used it on my water pump, and it smells fine.

5 Likes

I do want to add that I have had issues with the red being chunky and I stay away from the red now. Thanks to @Beverchakus for the breakdown!

I haven’t noticed the smell of either clear or grey, but I will say that I started using silicon pretty early on and never bought pads. But just about every tube of silicone I’ve bought has had a cracked lid before the second or third use. Definitely less than a year. I started using it because I thought it would be more cost effective, and it is a great binding experience, generally, but when the cap cracks, there’s usually a significant plug that makes it very difficult to get out, and I’ve thrown out at least one tube because of it. So, overall for me it has not been more cost effective. Maybe after a couple more years, when I’ve figured out how to keep a tube of silicone from drying out it will be, but I’m beginning to feel like it’s probably only cost effective if you have a large collection and you can silicone 10+ all at once. Then it would be cheaper even if the tube immediately dries out.

3 Likes

Does it smell after it’s cured or just when apply it?

Just when it’s wet thankfully.

1 Like

I’m convinced so I’ll give it a go

3 Likes

I haven’t tried it yet but I saw a recommendation on one of Jake’s videos to take the nozzle by itself when you’re done and just stand it upright for a bit. Gravity will help flow it down and when it dries a little you can lift it up and pop the silicone that was in there right out. Should save you from cracking or plugs in theory.

Clear was good to go in an hour, grey took about 2 or 3 hours. After about 20 minutes playing with both to make sure the silicone was actually set I’d say my vote goes for grey as well. The clear is nice and consistent but a bit too grippy, they grey is a really nice sweet spot of grip for me.

4 Likes

Yes, I’d actually argue it’s the way to go. I’ve been doing it on all my favorite throws and have zero regrets.

LOC-TITE on the axles, too.