Did my first silicone job

So my most played yo-yos (grail and life) pads were totally worn out and completely recessed. So I decided to throw some grey silicone in them. Watched one video on YouTube and just went for it. Was pretty easy! Hopefully they play well, I will check back in tomorrow.

17 Likes

Yo nice work this looks like a very very good application. Just a couple notes bc it’s your first time. The excess will peel right off after it cures. There is also like a little break in period when you first start playing a freshly siliconed yoyo. Might be a bit grippier until the string smooths out the silicone. play it for a little while before deciding if you love it or hate it. Also ultra grey is specifically the least responsive of the silicones but it’s my favorite. Might need to adjust your binds but also maybe not bc you didn’t add a recess. Let us know how you like it tho!

7 Likes

Nice! This was my first silicone job. I used the flowable silicone which was listed on YYE’s shop.

I didn’t have any OD 19mm slim pads lying around nor would it have been ordered in time. Only concern was if application for slim recess might be bit tricky. That wasn’t the case at all. One thing I might do different next time would be to scrape off a little bit more silicone after applying, so there’s some recess.

Before:

Right after applying:

A day later:

8 Likes

Gotta say your job looks cleaner than mine! Nice!

Yo thanks man! Thanks for the pointers. Yeah I am gonna break them in as soon as they’re dry and I’ll find out how I like em after they smooth out nice. Interested to see If levels out a little bit more as it cures. I didn’t do any amount of recess so I suspect they might take a minute to break in and not be super sticky

1 Like

Yeah. Good job bro. You’re gonna like it.

2 Likes

Just some minor cleanup after thats why. Is gray silicone more like clay texture?

1 Like

I’m really not sure, the gray is the first I have tried. I think there may be a clear that is “self leveling” that might set smoother. :man_shrugging: But I figured the strings would just do the job.

2 Likes

Not really like clay imo. It’s like rubber but a harder rubber than the clear flowable.

2 Likes

I came to this thread expecting something else, based on the title. :pensive:

2 Likes

Hahahaha

Flow-able silicon scares me, I just stock up on spare pads.

You did it very well also to be the first time, all the bumps in the silicone will become flat after 30 minutes of playing so do not worry about that, it is basically impossible to put this silicone down perfectly so do not worry!

The flowable (transparent) is easier to apply as it self level so do not compare your job with the grey and the transparent but also as said it doesn’t really mind.

Hope you like the permatex grey, at the moment is also my favourite, best “against snagging” system!

4 Likes

okay i I’m definitely enjoying the silicone. Above is dry (48hrs)before any play, and below is after 2 hrs of hard binds.

So the way I would describe the feeling is like “soft and super consistent” I say soft rather then snappy and hard, which is good, definitely no worries about snags here. But the bind is there for you, no question. The first string I put in did end up with some residue as it broke them in but I think that’s going away. I love the way it looks, and love the way it feels. Now I’ll just have to see how long this stuff lasts!!

As far as effecting the yoyo, I definitely would say , no fear in causing vibe at all. Silicone is chill, don’t be scared. Thanks homies for enlightening me to the gray permatex! I might try clear next time just to try both, but definitely happy with these two.

5 Likes

Soft and consistent, smooth smooth binds, no snags or fear of snagging. A bind that is always there for you and not to snappy.

1 Like

Awesome. Yet another believer!! That turned out very nice as well. :smiley::+1:

2 Likes