Pads or silicone

what do y’all prefer to use pads or silicone I personally like silicone its way cheaper and its really easy to use as long as you get flowable silicone

• pads
  • silicone

0 voters

1 Like

the only time I use pads is when im at a contest or not at home

1 Like

Pads cuz I’m lazy.

But I do want to learn to flow my own silicone at some point.

2 Likes

I tried it for the first time today and it was actually really easy

1 Like

Pad also. Since if I want to practice a certain routine, I need everything else to remain constant (the kind of pad I’m using, the type/thickness and length of the string I use, etc). It comes to a point wherein if there is a slight change on how the yoyo binds, I can tell if my string is getting worn out, or if the pad will need to be replaced soon.

3 Likes

But then again, maybe because I am also just lazy…

3 Likes

Pads. Easy, quick, and, I don’t have to worry about feeling like it is a project when I want to replace a response. Plus, pads seem to last forever for me. But, I say they last forever, yet, I just changed pads in a yoyo and first throw with the new pads and I was all “what a difference”

1 Like

I much prefer the play of a good recessed silicone pour! MonkeyFinger Rays silicone job on my Fire Devil is the best response in my collection. That said I’m too lazy to rip out the pads on all my throws and diy them all.

2 Likes

as a newer(ish) player i use pads but i LOVE the idea of silicone and i like the idea of making your own yoyo accessories i just started making my own custom string

2 Likes

But your initial post sounds as if you’re a sili expert. Now you’re saying you just tried it for the first time??? :wink:

3 Likes

And if he just tried it for the first time today… isn’t it too early for him to have thrown it yet? Or did he mean he just tried throwing his first silicone response today that he poured 24+ hours ago?

1 Like

The custom fit of poured silicone or gasket maker makes for much nicer unrolling and binds.

I feel that I can’t fully assess how a yoyo plays until it has silicone in it. Comparing between yoyos whose pads fit differently (or whose bearings perform differently) is like comparing apples to oranges - it’s hard to know how much of a difference the response/bearing is making versus the yoyos themselves.

2 Likes

He tried it for the ‘first time today’ and it was really easy; so he prefers silicone.

Which means he put silicone in a yoyo ‘today’ and it dried well enough for him to use today and make a same day conclusion that he prefers it because: it’s better, cheaper and easy.

Easy Peazy…

Hahaha…

5 Likes

its cool that your already making your own string, I didn’t start making my own string till I was about 8 months in

1 Like

yeah I poured silicone for the first time today and it was really easy and I have played with a friends throw that had the same type of silicone

2 Likes

yeah man!

2 Likes

I use pads most of the time. They last long enough for me and they take way less time to put in.

2 Likes

I bought some MFD flowable silicone a while back and I still haven’t tried it. Mostly because I have a lot of yoyos and none of them have a worn out enough response to try, but how can a “pro” for flowable be “easy to do”, when pads are basically just stickers that dont require much application effort?

I’ve seen people critical of flowable because it doesn’t last, and honestly I’m not sure. I have a “stock” MFD Conspiracy that is one of my most heavily used throws, and I still haven’t had to do anything to the response. These come hand poured, correct? If that’s the case, I don’t think longevity should be an issue.

Personally I’m waiting for one of my yoyos with pads to wear out so I can try flowable for myself. My hunch is that pads are just so much easier that it isn’t worth the extra hassle, but I can’t be sure until I’ve seen the same yoyo with both.

1 Like