RTV silicone vs. Flowable silicone

Well said. My first attempt was RTV and I made a mess an$ it came out ugly but I do like how it performs. Next time I do it I will be more careful and try to make it uniform so it’s easier to clean up after.

3 Likes

if it helps, I really don’t even clean the RTV off when it’s still wet. I fill up the response system until it’s overflowing and then smear it in with something like a credit card so know the response is completely full. After that, I’ll let it dry for a few hours and then scrape away anything that doesn’t belong with a plastic dental pick, you can get those at the $ store for a pack of 100. that way the RTV doesn’t have a chance to stick to anything it’s not supposed to and it’s a much easier mess to clean up. Just make sure not to use anything metal to scrape away the RTV with cause it’ll ruin the yoyo, no matter how careful you are. trust me, I know.

2 Likes

I use RTV silicon, the clear, but any color will work similarly. works great, lasts as long as flowable as long as you get a good bead. With such a thick viscosity, it makes it hard to get an even application

1 Like

Soo not entirely sure where this misconception came from and why it’s so believed in this community, but flowable and RTV silicone are the same. RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing, or cures at room temperature. Pretty much all silicone is RTV. You’re asking more about flowable vs nonflowable. In my experience, flowable silicone does not last nearly as long as non flowable, but it is much easier to apply.

3 Likes

That is true. However what the conversations hear are eluding to are the different RTV types, not just flowable vs non-flowable. The clear flowable windshield repair silicone vs red gasket maker RTV.

They are different in both application and performance. The clear silicone grips applies easier and generally more uniform when cured. Red RTV is a bit more difficult, but not too difficult to apply and not quite as uniform. The Red RTV tends to provide more grip and last a little longer.

2 Likes

Is this red stuff RTV? I don’t like it because it is crumbling off and the red crumbs are getting into the bearing :frowning:

3 Likes

Most likely, yes. What yoyo is that?

Well that is just nasty. I highly do not recommend this crumbly red gunk. It’s gotten into many of the bearings in this set…

Strange, I don’t think I’ve ever had this problem with the red RTV stuff :thinking:

How long ago did you apply it? And how much has it been played since?

No idea, I don’t use this stuff. Someone else did it. Many of the bearings are responsive because they have little grains of this red stuff in them… you can see it!

This red junk is seriously bad mojo. Ugh. Do NOT recommend.

Anyway I’ve taken it out, cleaned the whole area with 99% isopropyl alcohol and q-tips, and replaced it with silicone stickers. Sooo much easier and better.

2 Likes

Looks like a bad application job. Did you have this issue on the Independents at all? I used the same red gasket maker.

1 Like

Yup that definetely looks like a poor application. You have to really take your time, make sure there is no bubbles, and it is smoothed down before it dries. This was not the case on this one.

3 Likes

I prefer stickers because there is literally no way to screw up a sticker application. I mean unless you don’t clean the response area at all before applying.