RSO DoomBot Yoyo Review

This was an interesting review to make. This yoyo was definitely not what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it all the same.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this yo-yo, but here are my thoughts. I tried to make this as fair but as honest as possible.

Let me know what you think!

26 Likes

Great review! Unexpected results. Honest delivery. Well done.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be very curious how the prototype version I have would do with these issues. Iā€™ve got it and the production run and I feel like the prototype for sure has a more solid competition feel to it. The production run plays a lot flowier and lighter. Very good review though. I personally never felt that it was very draupniresque but thats just me.

3 Likes

Fantastic review, as usual. I think comparing a throw to other iconic, or well known throws, is one of the best ways to give the audience a concept of how it plays. Please keep it up and also thanks to FourCorner (not sure how to tag him) for providing the Doombot.

4 Likes

@FourCorner

2 Likes

Yeah! Iā€™d be interested in seeing that for sure. I do think they were going for that light flowy vibe

1 Like

Outstanding review. Iā€™ve felt that the Doombot has a noticeable amount of float (for lack of a better term) in addition to the power, where as the Draupnir has virtually no float to it.

Iā€™m very surprised at itā€™s instability at low RPM compared to the Draupnir. Many of us donā€™t have nearly the skill that you have and canā€™t push a yoyo through speed or on horizonal to find out where the limitations are. Itā€™s great to have your perspective.

I think you are saying essentially that the Doombot is an e-type Jaguar and the Draupnir is a forumula 1 car, which I would tend to agree.

I know from your reviews you are a big Kenshin Kiwami fan. Having thrown the Draupnir again, where would you rate the Kiwami performance wise? Would you say that it is a ā€œDraupnir Killerā€ being cheaper and actually available?

5 Likes

banginā€™ review bro

2 Likes

Iā€™m really glad you enjoyed the review. Thank you very much!
And I like your car analogy, that is a good way of putting it.

As far as the Kenshin Kiwami, I would put its performance at around 95% of what the draupnirā€™s is. It reaches a level of performance that very few yoyos get to, and it is certainly in the same league as the Draupnir, it can give it a very close run for its money in ay area you like, and may be better in a couple. But I think that Draupnir just barely edges it out on the whole. I would not call it a Draupnir killer, but it is certainly a contender. I think its a good way to go, considering its $120 cheaper, and easy to get ahold of.

3 Likes

Thanks my man!

3 Likes

I never really thought about exactly ā€˜whoā€™ mainly buys this type of yoyo(I have both the Proto and the Production models)(but I am neither a high level player or a genuine collector) :thinking:

But if it is ā€˜mainly collectors that procure themā€¦ then they are lucky to have them for sure.

Elvin told me he will ā€˜neverā€™ make any more Doombots. <<>> like in never-ever-ever.

He said they were a major pain in the pants.

ā€¦ I donā€™t care for most yoyo reviews. I appreciate the time and trouble ā€˜every single personā€™ spends making reviews. But normally a 9 minute review contains 3 minutes of information structured redundantly to end up 2 times too long. And another 3 minutes of ā€˜uhā€™s and ummā€™s

Your reviews are laid out with such a professional manner. Excellent speaking voiceā€¦ excellent vocabulary and statement structureā€¦ very good lighting free of pizza boxes and clothes on the floorā€¦

Thanks Robinā€¦ A other top shelf review

6 Likes

Superb review Robin!

You bring a very interesting and valuable perspective to the table.

Even though I canā€™t perform those advanced tricks I want to know that the yoyo I paid $470 for can.

For me the analogy would be something more like realising my F-type Jaguar doesnā€™t handle well over 100 mph.

4 Likes

Thank you so much!

Even though the Doombot isnā€™t at that top level of performance competition wise, I wouldnā€™t call it a bad yo-yo. Itā€™s super fun to use for most tricks.

2 Likes

The pads in the DoomBot are RSO Landing Pads

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting.

1 Like

@nightshadow you are really talented man. Iā€™m sure it took years of practice and commitment to get to where you are.

I donā€™t own a doom bot and have no bias but were the pads in the doom bot pink? I ask because those are extremely grippy and may hinder its performance on horizontal maybe. Iā€™m just shooting in the dark here though.

I appreciate this review. Also dude I may DM you for tips on horizontal as I practice if you donā€™t mind lol

3 Likes

What concerns yoyo reviewsā€¦ I would watch them all, please more :wink:

1 Like

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

As far as the pads, they were honestly perfect in my opinion. Perfect binds but not so far into the catch zone as to rub on the string. Thatā€™s really the only time Iā€™ve seen the pads get in the way of a yoyoā€™s performance.

1 Like

I have to say, I found this review somewhat strange. Iā€™ve been watching you do horizontal combos for a while now, and Iā€™m always amazed at your overall skill and the breakneck speed at which you can perform certain tricks. Thatā€™s exactly the reason why I was surprised to hear you claim that a competition-style yo-yo like the DOOMBOT (yes, the DOOMBOT was designed to be a competitive yo-yo) struggles during simple horizontal combos.

My skill level is much lower than yours, and I was still able to pull off a 14-15 second horizontal ā€œrepeaterā€ on the DOOMBOT, which is nothing to sneer at, especially considering my overall level as a player. Watching a player of your caliber ā€œstruggleā€ with a simple horizontal trick using the same yo-yo is quite surprising.

This becomes even stranger once you start considering the overall similarities between the two yo-yos you compare in your video, namely the DOOMBOT and the Draupnir. Not only only do these yo-yos have a very similar catch zone, but they share very similar specifications as well.

Draupnir:

Diameter: 57.04
Width: 43.42
Weight: 63.5
Gap Width: 4.40

DOOMBOT:

Diameter: 58
Width: 44
Weight: 64.3
Gap Width: 4.4

If anything, the DOOMBOT is slightly wider which, theoretically at least, should aid the player in maintaining control of the yo-yo during long or difficult combos.

Hereā€™s a picture of the two side-by-side for comparison:

If we take weight distribution into consideration, we can see that the yo-yos are, once again, constructed similarly. Most of the weight is concentrated near the rims to maximize spin time.

All of this, along with my personal experience with both yo-yos, leads me to conclude that perhaps you have not spent enough time with the DOOMBOT to really test its capabilities. Either that or thereā€™s something wrong with the specific DOOMBOT you were given as I canā€™t really understand why the spin time would drop so fast after a few simple combos.

Am I saying that the DOOMBOT is a ā€œDraupnir killer?ā€ No. Thatā€™s something very subjective in my opinion. Plus, it would be extremely difficult for any yo-yo to truly outperform a Draupnir. What I am saying, however, is that the DOOMBOT can handle pretty much anything that the player throws at it. And since we like car analogies in this forum, I would say that comparing the two yo-yos would be like comparing two different formula one cars, save one of them is as luxurious as a Mercedes-Maybach S-Class.

Anyway, those were my thoughts on the matter. Cool review, and keep slaying those tricks! :muscle:

3 Likes

Good points in this comment, they are things that I perhaps should have addressed more specifically in the review. I do stand by what I said in the review, I actually ended up throwing the Doombot for a week or so before reviewing it, just to be sure of my thoughts before I put them out there.

Hereā€™s a bit of clarification:

The main thing that I think is causing a bit of confusion here is HOW a horizontal combo is executed. I mentioned this in the review, by saying that the Doombot can do horizontal if you ā€œreally baby the spinā€. By this I mean really keeping in mind every move you do being careful not to do anything that would cause the yo-yo to tilt and die.

And yes, if you do that, the Doombot can do horizontal. As I said, itā€™s not atrocious. But with the Draupnir, I can go as hard and fast as I want with horizontal combo without constantly having to worry about the yo-yo spinning out on me. And what I showed in the review was holding the Doombot up to that standard of rigor and speed. That is when it died.

Youā€™re right, I could have done the same combo on the Doombot much more slowly and gently, and it would have looked a little better. But the fact that the Draupnir can handle the combo much harder and faster is where the main difference is. And that is how competition horizontal material usually looks. It is what the yo-yos of that type are supposed to be able to do.

So would I struggle to do this horizontal combo on the Doombot if Iā€™m being very slow and careful? No. Do I struggle to hit it when Iā€™m going at the speeds and rigor that competition yoyos such as the Draupnir can do easily? Yes.

You throw horizontally, so try this. Do your 10-15 second combo horizontally. Now try and do it fast. Now get good at doing it with a higher level of speed and rigor. Now do it twice in one throw on the Draupnir. Now do the same thing on the Doombot. If you canā€™t tell a difference, then your Doombot is not the same yo-yo that I tried.

Moving on to what you were talking about as far as design: I could not say exactly why the Draupnir is capable of handling horizontal so much better. All I can say is that I have learned how sensitive yo-yo design is. In my time learning the yo-yo CAD basics, I was struck by how much the moments of inertia and momentum change with a small modification to the physical specs. A 0.5 mm difference changes the moments of inertia DRASTICALLY.
Yoyos that look similar can easily play VERY differently. Having promising specs does not automatically make a yo-yo deliver in performance.

Again, the Doombot is not a bad yo-yo at all. But the high levels of horizontal, it does not stack up in my experience.

Thanks for the comments, let me know if I can clarify my thoughts any more.

9 Likes