RSO DoomBot Yoyo Review

Fantastic response. Thank you for sharing your additional thoughts so clearly and politely. :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Heā€™s right, I probably should have stated that more specifically in the video.

4 Likes

Iā€™m pretty new at yoyoing, but I noticed when we touch the Draupnir subject, the talk gets really serious.

Apparently Draupnir is the best yoyo ever.

Do I really care? No. Even my shutter can handle all my tricks.
Do I want to test a Draupnir? Danm I wantā€¦

Did I love this ā€œcontroversyā€ talk. Yes, please more. Hahahahahah

1 Like

Thank you for the clarifications. When I initially watched your review I didnā€™t quite understand the exact points you were trying to make.

Well, thatā€™s pretty similar to what I did before posting here. In fact, I tried the same trick on 3 different yo-yos. I recently acquired an extremely powerful throw, and I took advantage of the opportunity to test it against one of the most capable yo-yos in my collection, the Draupnir. I initially started out with my basic 5 second horizontal trick. All 3 yo-yos were able to handle it with ease. I then attempted the same trick twice, starting with the DOOMBOT, moving on to the Draupnir, and finishing with the third yo-yo. Once again, I did not notice a significant difference between the three. The two attempts to compare the horizontal capabilities of each throw failed to give me the answers I sought. So, I decided I needed to hit the trick 3 times in a row to see if I could tell a difference between the three of them. I failed several times on all 3 yo-yos. But I continued until I was able to hit the trick on all of them. In the end, I didnā€™t notice any significant difference between the DOOMBOT and the Draupnir. Both seemed to have enough power to keep going even after I finished the combo. The Draupnir felt lighter and less taxing to use while the DOOMBOT felt heavier or more ā€œsolidā€ and somewhat more ā€œstressfulā€ to use. Iā€™m using the word, ā€œstressful,ā€ here because I couldnā€™t think of a better word. When a yo-yo feels heavier to me during horizontal playā€“regardless of whether or not it is actually heavierā€“I tend to fear that itā€™s going to fall down faster. The Draupnir feels light, so I never have that problem with it.

Side note: I did notice a significant difference in power and capabilities when comparing the third yo-yo to the other two. It seemed to have considerably more power left after I finished the combo compared to the others.

Itā€™s worth mentioning that I always play as fast as I can when throwing horizontally. Whenever I attempt to complete a more demanding horizontal combo slowly, my technique tends to get quite sloppy, causing the yo-yo to drop and return to a vertical position.

I completely agree. I also donā€™t know much more about the DOOMBOTā€™s design when it comes to details like these. Perhaps @lytelvin can share his thoughts on the matter.

Thank you as well. I really enjoyed our discussion and would be happy to continue it further. Thus far, I have not found a significant difference between the DOOMBOT and the Draupnir. But Iā€™ll continue to test them. Maybe Iā€™ll be able to hit the same trick four or five times in a row and that will help me determine if one of them is a lot more capable than the other.

3 Likes

We all want to know what the third yo-yo is!!!

4 Likes

Interesting. If youā€™d like to post a video of your combos on the Doombot versus the Draupnir, Iā€™d love to see. Maybe it would shed some light on the situation.

At the end of the day, I would never try to tell you that youā€™re wrong, or anything of the sort. However, I cannot change the experience that I am having when I throw the entirety of my horizontal repertoire at each yoyo. The difference between the Draupnir and the Doombot is quite apparent to me.

Later today, I can post some videos where I use both yoyos for the most difficult horizontal tricks I know, ones where the differences between the two are MOST apparent if youā€™d like.

But hereā€™s the thing. If you feel like your Doombot is as high performance as an F1 car, and as luxurious as a Mercedes, Iā€™m not going to tell you youā€™re wrong. Iā€™m glad youā€™re pleased with it, and I hope you continue your horizontal journey. All I can say is what my experiences have been in the most accurate and honest way possible. And that I what I tried to do in my review.

5 Likes

A quick additional point: some horizontal tricks will tax a yoyo more than others. If I am doing a more basic trapeze /man on his brother horizontal trick, I probably wouldnā€™t notice that much a difference between the Draupnir, the Doombot, and most other competition style yoyos.

But If Iā€™m doing a more difficult trick that involves more fast direction changes, elements that put more stress on a yoyos power and stability, the differences will be much more apparent.

Just a thought.

6 Likes

The third one was the Hydrangea - Berberis.

Iā€™ll see if Iā€™ll have more time during the weekend. But youā€™d need to give me your email address.

Iā€™m definitely not asking you to do that. I found the discussion very interesting and wanted to understand more about why you felt the way you did, especially since youā€™re that good at horizontal yo-yoing. Thatā€™s all.

Sure, Iā€™d love to see those. It never hurts to watch more yo-yo videos.:slightly_smiling_face:

Good point. My trick repertoire is quite limited, so Iā€™m not sure. Here are some of the tricks I tried while testing these yo-yos:

3 x Horizontal Skin the Gerbil
2 Ɨ Simple Geometry
Skin the Gerbil + Simple Geometry + Skin the Gerbil

2 Likes

I think that therein lies the differences in our experiences. When I do combos that consist of these two tricks, the differences in power and horizontal stability are not as clear.

But, when I really put on the speed for some horizontal combos that tax the yoyos more, that is where I noticed the Draupnir outperforming the Doombot significantly. Those are generally the tricks that I do horizontally, so it is also why I consistently found the Draupnir to be the better yoyo for horizontal. Especially on behind the back/around the body variations.

It is certainly possible to get through these tricks with a Doombot. Heck, if I want to try it enough times, Iā€™ll do them with a replay. But again, when tested on more demanding horizontal repertoire, I personally find the difference to be night and day.

3 Likes

But again, I want to point out that I am not saying I am the authority on horizontal at all. I watch and learn from people every day that make me look like Iā€™ve been throwing a yoyo for 10 minutes.

I really hope you continue on your horizontal progress, and learn those more stressful combos and elements. Who knows? You might come back in a year with crazy horizontal tricks to put mine to shame, all done perfectly on a Doombot! :smiley:
I would enjoy that very much indeed. Best of luck on your horizontal journey my friend!

3 Likes

ā€œIn the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.ā€

2 Likes

I highly doubt it. But Iā€™ll certainly try to improve.

Thank you! I hope youā€™ll post a few tutorials for some of the more advanced tricks in your arsenal at some point in the future. Iā€™m sure a lot of people trying to improve their horizontal skills could benefit from that.

4 Likes

I have nothing to contribute here my play is not at your level, other than the doombot and draupnir feel very different to me and both are capable of much more than I can give them.

I want to commend @Drakkar and @nightshadow for discussing this topic with maturity, patience and understanding, too often it seems like these kinds of conversations turn ugly. I learned more this way and greatly enjoyed following along.

6 Likes