Roo-Yo HF: The Next Step For Delrin?

Roo-Yo HF - A Review

In the yoyoing community, we are divided between wood, metal, and plastic. Wood throws us back to the old days, but some have become constructed to fit the high mark of the modern high-end yoyo. Plastic is often delegated to the beginners, helping them learn skills. The metals are for “hardcore” players, who are continuously pushing the limits of their skills, and the laws of physics.

Then, there is Delrin. Delrin is a special case. Often, Delrin yoyos are squeezed awkwardly in this hierarchy between the plastics and the metals. Genetically speaking, it is still plastic. But does it have what it takes to be considered by all to be as high-end and pristine as the metals? So far, results have been mostly good, with the Silk, Milk, Gung-Fu, and Lucha Libre. However, one company and one yoyo are going to try to push delrin over the edge and into the realm of the metals. That is the Roo-Yo HF.

However, does it fit the bill? Let’s take a gander.

Packaging - The packaging was lacking, to say the least. Inside of my mailbox was a USPS box, which contained the yoyo. Inside the box was a belt-loop thing (that I ordered along with the HF, very nice item actually) and the yoyo. The yoyo basically came in a little sleeve. There was a paper/cardboard feeling thing on the bottom, under which was a sheet of paper. Atop the paper/cardboard thing were the two separated yoyo halves. Also in the sleeve was a small baggie, which contained the bearing and axle. The whole thing was encased in some wrapping stuff. (Like wax paper, sort of.)

No fancy packaging at all for the HF, it seems. The yoyo, however, seemed unfazed by its excursion from the vendor to my mailbox, so everything seems fine. That sheet of paper contained some instructions, both in English and Italian, in case I ever wanted to know how to say “axle” in Italian. (Perno, in case you are curious.) A standard little information sheet, an interesting thing to have.

First Impression - “Delrin feels really weird!” I have never myself handled a delrin item, and its texture is interesting to say the least. Its sort of like the top of a deodorant stick, but shaped like a yoyo. Then, it was time for a throw. Woosh! Well, it was making some noises, and seemed to be in a bit of shock that it was actually being thrown. However, its confusion was temporary, and it soon was thriving. However, the silicone response just wasn’t doing its job. It was not quite grippy enough, some lengthly combos caused a few failed binds.

Shape/Feel - As I sit at my laptop caressing the yoyo thinking of words to describe it, the word I want to use is “Slick.” Whatever finish or lack thereof is featured on the HF feels almost slippery, but not so much that it would slip out of your hand on a quick return. Its just interesting.

The shape is relatively standard. Curved rims, slight angle towards the gap. Nothing too special to report, but it is comfortable.
Size - This is a big yoyo. It is bigger than the Peak (See comparison below). If you’re not a fan of big yoyos like I am, you might not be thrilled about the size like I am. Personally, I think that the size makes it much more fun to use, as it presents more of a challenge on some tricks. It certainly contributes to the character of the yoyo.

Play - On a scale from 1-10, 1 being like sandpaper, and 10 being like a baby’s rear end coated in butter, it’s about a 9.8 in terms of smoothness. This is one of the smoothest yoyos I’ve ever thrown. Don’t let the noise it makes fool you, it is a slick player. After finger and pinch testing, I could only sense a very small vibe. Like, very small. The phrase “negotiable during play” doesn’t apply. “Negotiable when testing for vibe” is more appropriate.

Now, I’m a very slow yoyoer. Yoyoing is a good thing, and good things shouldn’t be rushed. However, despite my slow style and the size of the HF, it still manages to run around tricks like it took an Underdog Super Energy Pill. It is very quick! This adds to its peppy character during play. It puts a smile on me face.

Immediately after throwing it, one is immediately alerted of the presence of the yoyo. Its not a dropping feeling or a lurch, nor is it vibe. Its like the yoyo sending a message up the string saying “Let’s do a trick!” It contributes to the exciting feel of the yoyo.

Earlier, I mentioned that the response was sort of lacking. After about an hour of good play, I set the HF down, opened her up, and added a bit of thin lube. After that, not a problem occurred. It zips through my tricks happily, and returns with a nice tight bind.

Guts - Nothing too special to report, aside from the KK bearing. Its a KK, a very nice touch. Silicone response.

Pros/Cons

Pros: Smooth play, barely any tuning (if lube counts), quick play.

Cons: A little more expensive than the average Delrin yoyo, but well worth it. Its not the best bargain I’ve ever had, but the play fits the bill.

Comparisons: FHZ/HF/Peak

Summary - The HF is an upbeat feeling player. It plays excitingly and quick, and with a drop of lube provides solid binds. It is an excellent yoyo, far superior to some of the metals that I have experienced. If the HF receives more positive reception, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Delrin Revolution in our future.

Recommended Listening:
Glory Days (Bruce Springsteen)
Sideways (Dierks Bentley)
Instrumental Illness (Allman Brothers Band)

great review! makes me want one! it looks so smooth and sleek

I kinda want one lol. It looks very sleek, even though im just starting back yo yoing i would love to add this into my collection. i mean just the look of this yo yo seems fast lol. i would definatly look into buying one or at least be able to try one one. i do have a few questions though
-Is this a heavy yo yo? im looking for something with a bit of a heavy-ness to it
-Price??
-What do you think the playability on this will be in the long term? Ex: Quickly wearing out? needing lots of maintenence ect.

nice review!

awesome review, enjoy that delrin.