Delrin?

How do yoyos made of delrin stack up against other plastics and aluminum? I’m talking in terms of speed, stability, spin time, and smoothness.

Basically how is it different from other materials and is it better or worse?

I want to get a Delrin yoyo but I don’t have much knowledge about it. Please help!! Thanks! :slight_smile:

As with any other throw, it totally depends on the shape. It does tend to be smoother than traditional plastic because it is often machined rather than molded or cast. The downside is that when you machine, you up the cost to near-aluminum levels which sort of negates the initial purpose of using a non-metal material (imo).

Personally, I’d rather just stick to a cheap plastic/celcon throw if I want cheap…or go expensive and buy metal. Delrin has yet to really make its case for me, although I do own 3 delrin throws. I prefer metal for what I spent on them. They still sort of have that “plastic” feel which doesn’t do it for me.

Well, the generic answer is that it’s a plastic that’s very dense and is machined like metal.

Properly designed, a delrin yoyo can play amazing. An example is the Halo. I’m not interested in the YYF new delrin Severe, but I’m willing to bet this is going to be another example.

When comparing them to plastics and metals, it plays more like a metal, but with the advantages of not taking dings like a plastic. The surface tends to make them fantastic grinders.

I have a bunch of delrin yoyos. If you want to A/B delrin vs metal, I would recommend the RecRev TA-1(aluminum) and the TA-1S(delrin), as they are essentially the same model. You can see how the TA-1S has a lot of differences in where the material is concentrated to get the weight distribution where it’s needed. They do play rather similar, but there are differences. There is a familarity when you play one and then the other.

While I respect studio 42’s opinion, you are making a HUGE mistake not checking out that severe, bro! I am actually saving up for another cause i like it so much. Now, delrin: like many have said, if designed well, it is great. I own 2 delrin yoyos; the halo and the severe. I have a hard time believing that the severe was only 45 dollars, and the halo is also great (severe is a better shape for me). They both play with the best of both worlds in my opinion. Smoothness and grind capability of a metal with the “no ding” factor of a plastic. They blow plastics out of the water, slightly beat inexpensive metals, and are only outplayed by high end metals (which makes some sense). To sum it up, the severe and the halo are similarly beast yoyos with different shapes, sizes and strengths. I reach for them as much as my high end metals. They are an amazing purchase.

Duly noted, but not changing my position.

Many of the YYF’s just don’t connect with me. That’s how it goes sometimes. I think unless something breaks, I’ve pretty much got all the YYF I want or need. Mind you, it’s still over 20 yoyos. However, I won’t say anything bad about the brand. They do make great stuff and have the awards to back it up through player achievements and accomplishments.

to me, derlin bounce softer than metal yoyo, and softer (in term of play, due to smoothness I guess on machined derlin instead of injection molded celcon) from any plastic yoyo.

stability, well, most derlin yoyo I tried not as stable as any metal, especially on horizontals. but with derlin, you got a soft feel that no metal can provide, and grind-ability like no other.

Try one…

Nope. Still don’t get what you mean by “softer”.