Returning to yoyoing after 5 years of complete inactivity

wow, informative.
thanks a bunch!

I’ve said a number of them and I am sure there is tons more I have forgotten.

-Mickey left Yoyojam and started his own yoyo company called “Something” along with his own store.

-Jensen had also started his own store called “Modernyoyoing” I think, but it was short lived.

-Shinji Saito turned to the 1a game after dominating 2a for so long, he is currently sponsored by Turning Point. He did a 1a freestyle to “Teach me how to dougie” to which people have now said “Teach me how to Shinji”.

-Daniel Dietz left Onedrop and Joined with Yomega as one of their head representatives and now Yomega has started to produce quality premium metals like the Glide and Prodigy. With Daniel on board Yomega has been taking the right direction with new ideas.

-44clash, which is a premium yoyo contest held in Japan, is also held in Russia now.

-Steve Brown developed the “Triple Crown Of Yoyo” which is a contest held in Chicago Illnois which is suppose to help with more exposure in yoyo due to the location of the contest. Originally it was suppose to be three individual contests but it is no more. The idea of “Triple Crown” is when a player wins their regional, national and world contest. Two competitors that I know off the top of my head that did this was Johnie Devalle and Yuuki Spencer.

-Yoyofactory sold “spintop buttons” which were counterweights and promoted 5a via the “5AMay” in I think 2009/2010. Duncan enforced their patent which caused Yoyofactory to stop promoting yoyos with 5a, stopped the spintop button production and made the company look into legal matters…alas no sponsorship of the World yoyo contest in Orlando. Hopefully this year it will be different…?

-Yoyofactory has made “Collection” series of special edition yoyos such as the recent “Pulsar” collection which features the new Genesis 2014 which is redefined with Steel rings for better rim weight. Awesome stuff!

-around 2012 there was and still is a trend where yoyos have been becoming much more wider. Examples being the Yoyofactory Superwide, the Xcube SteamRoller and Onedrop Cascade.

-around 2011/12 the skilltoy “Kendama” has exploded in the yoyo scene and now crossover players have now occured. Kendama players starting yoyo…yoyo players starting kendama. Neat stuff.

-More focus on 7075 grade aluminum has been used for yoyos over the years. Examples being Yoyofactory’s 7075 grade Genesis called “The Doomsday” which ironically was released on the supposed prophecy doomsday on 1/21/2012. Other examples are Onedrops “GZR” series of yoyos which are 7075 grade versions of their models.

-Since roughly 2009. bearings have been evolving with different shapes all based on different ideas similar to the Dif-E-Yo Konkave. Examples are Crucials bearings which have a grooved center for the string, Yoyofactorys Centertrac which has the main center flat but just the edges in a angles like way which allows for play similar to KonKaves. Also note is the popularity of 10 ball bearings which was first introduced by Onedrop. Now many companies have 10 ball based bearings in their models.

-Yoyofactory developed a team of up and comers called the “Protege” team. This team along with release of the yoyo called “Protege” was a fairly new thing. The yoyo would be sold in order to help the team. These members of the team would be considered sponsored but didn’t have all the benefits that the main contest team have. Known people on/was on the team is Joe Wilson. The proteges would be fixed to a main contest team member too.

-Werrd has been innovating new concepts with the ideas of removable interchangeable delrin rims on a yoyo. The rims can be swapped for other rims which they call them “Donuts”. This allowed for lots of customization/variability.

-Yoyo sizes (diameter) themselves have been evolving over the past two or three years to be much…much…LARGER. Examples would be yoyos like the Werrd Setinel.

anyways I am sure I can type out much more things. I just keep thinking over the years of all that has happened. I also know that I do not know everything and sometimes get things confused so if you see something wrong please say something. I’m not completely as acknowledged as some out there.

~Zammy

1 Like

Well, I’m trying to come back after a few months off.
Also, hey everybody.

The Doomsday was released on “Doomsday” on purpose.

Oh, another big change has been the rise of Japanese companies. Back in 2006 I wasn’t aware of any Japanese yoyo companies. That’s not to say they didn’t exist, but they couldn’t be found on any of the major websites.

Now Japanese companies make some of the best throws in the world. Turning Point and Yoyorecreation have particularly stellar reputations but their yoyos will run you $200-$250 generally. There are also smaller Japanese companies like yoyomonster and Sturm Panzer who make amazing throws.

Nowadays there are a lot of bimetal yoyos as well. Yoyojam has had bimetals for a while, but thanks to their patent other American companies couldn’t do much with the concept. But in Japan they can, and Turning Point, YYR, yoyomonster, and Sturm Panzer have all released amazing bimetal yoyos, far outclassing anything put out by YYJ (IMO). They typically have a 6061 or 7075 aluminum body, with brass or stainless steel weight rings, varying greatly in size, placed either on the sides of the yoyo or over the sides.

Some examples of recent phenomenal bimetals:

Turning Point Isotope 2
Yoyorecreation Draupnir
Yoyomonster Agonist
Sturm Panzer Leo Sniper Mk II

We’re starting to see more bimetals in the U.S., like YYF just released a bimetal Genesis, but the weight rings tend to be in suboptimal locations due to the YYJ patent. Sadly YYJ hasn’t been doing much creative with their patent IMO

American compamies can do all the bimetal stuff they want. The ring has to be in cup or catch zone, or they need permission. Nsc has the Helix and YYF has the C22 and Genesis SS.

Yes those are bimetal too, nice job.

Dude YYN Highlights were sooooooo awesome haha. I miss YYN, but YYE is just as awesome! I took about a 4 year break to haha ALOT has changed, but except for YYN going under it’s mostly for the better. Everyone in the YYN forum migrated here, so it’s a pretty chill group of people.