Retic Puff Adder

This isn’t really a full review, per se, more some thoughts on the throw, so if it should be categorized elsewhere, I apologize in advance.

In another thread, @hobbygod posted the following about the Puff Adder:

I’ve had a similar experience. The Puff Adder basically fits into what that I like: Mid-size, a tiny bit on the slim side, mid-weight ring, within my weight preference, fingerspin gimmick, igr, and comes in an unadorned black blast finish. But I wasn’t a fan of the shape. Like, seriously not a fan. But I liked everything else about it, so I picked one up. Even the first time I threw it my reaction was pretty much, “Alright, this seems decent.” But over the first few days I had it, I kept finding it back on my finger. Like, I’d start throwing something else, and switch after a few minutes. Or, at the last minute before leaving the house for the day, I’d decide to take the Puff Adder instead of what I already had in my pocket. After about a week, I realized I’d been throwing it exclusively for several days. Thing is, for everything the PA does, I’ve got other throws that do it a little better, but I don’t have a single throw that does everything as well as Puff Adder does. The way @ReticNeil managed to balance all those capabilities is outstanding.
The true proof for me was watching a Minnesota State Yoyo Champ throw it. He stopped by the toy store I’ve been working at and asked to try it. He had nearly the same reaction I did, but much faster. He started slow, and then just kept pushing it harder and faster, hitting bigger and bigger tricks, some pretty dense tech-ish stuff and even some grinds. In a few minutes he went from “This is okay” to “I want one!”
In the interest of full disclosure, I’m a recently returning player (since August). I’ve not played anything truly high-end, and I generally like to keep in the $50 range for individual throws. My opinion should certainly be taken with a grain of salt. That being said, I think the Puff Adder is a stellar mid-sized all-arounder for the price point.

7 Likes

I had those same exact thoughts about the shape as well, and was almost just buying it to be part of my Retic collection, but it quickly turned into my EDC. Awesome write up @pmdon!

4 Likes

Ya great throw. Like I said I was pleasantly surprised by it. Not an amazing yoyo for performance, but definitely ticks all the boxes for a really fun yoyo

4 Likes

I’m not sure I even own anything that could be considered a high-performance throw to compare it to. But I totally get that. Fantastic everyday driver, but probably not what you’d pick for race day.

4 Likes

Yep! Just has a special feel about it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the awesome write up. The puff adder was intended to be a do anything type of yoyo. I was tired of having to grab different yoyos based on how I wanted to play that day. It does everything I want perfectly so I am very happy with it. The death adder was made to give it a push into a more competition style while still being able to do everything the puff could. Took a few tries to get right but I think we did it :slight_smile:
Thanks for taking the time to try a Retic yoyo.

5 Likes

You’re more than welcome. It’s a pleasure to throw, and I love the versatility. If a Death Adder is a bigger, more powerful Puff, that’s gonna be hard for me to pass up.

Happy cake day!

4 Likes