Rethinkyoyo Tutorial Contest

Yeah. I’m a complete beginner with video editing, but my tutorial came out a-okay I think. Just used windows live movie maker, MS paint, and my flip cam.
It’s pretty simple to use. just drag and drop files. For mine, I just did one take and split the video up into segments. then arranged everything how I wanted, and it came out alright. :slight_smile:

I do a lot of tech writing. In previous “lives”, I also developed modem chipsets and firmware. I still do lots of network analysis and have to write very detailed reports. When I do my live sound stuff, it’s still very detail oriented and people quickly burn out who can’t keep up with the extreme level of detail. it ain’t “throw it up and hope for the best”, it is an intentional set of coordinated activities.

All I do is tech this, tech that, tech this, tech that. Only artistic side I get these days is mixing bands for live shows.

I myself don’t intend to get good enough to video myself or be IN the training video. I would prefer to work with someone near me, shoot it, edit it and then work with the talent to do the voice-over so they can explain what they are showing better. I’d rather make possible a great video than be the talent IN the video. I’m mainly a behind the scenes type of person.

I don’t think we need a “polished professional product”, because I think the community actually thrives on the whole “lack of polish” idea, except when it comes to their technique. I’d just rather see something at least professionally done, oriented at really walking people through the tricks, with the intention of targetting new people, as well as those more advanced and want to learn more. With my noob perspective, it helps me maintain a better focus on what NEEDS to be done.

With all the tools available, both for free and for fee, it’s not simply a matter of “I can do it”, but a matter of “should you do it”? Many things I see can benefit from just simple editing, like taking out the part where we can tell you turned on RECORD, then walked in front of the camera, stood for 5 seconds, popped off a trick, stand there for 5 second, walk back to the camera to kick off record, and then the video goes dead. I mean, they did their bumps, why not edit out the non-needed stuff? Sorry, pride in my work, having worked in and around professional entertainment nearly all my life.

Also, frankly, a lot of the guys doing this stuff are pretty good. Just for “oohs” and “ahhs”, it would be great to not even worry about teaching sometime and just record some of these guys and girls doing their competition routines in a more relaxed environment, sort of as a motivation for others to improve their skills. Hearing how quickly some people have gone from “never touched one” to being highly regarded(say, in as little as 2 years in some cases), that means a LOT of practice.

I think this tutorial contest is going to discover a few new “teachers”. I teach plenty of people on live sound, but it’s a matter of “teaching through doing” and “teaching while doing in a real environment”, which means: they show is gonna happen, so get crackin’!

So, any takers? Maybe your video might end up being a winner? I have time between June 25th and July 15th to shoot and edit one. You can submit and if you win, take the prize(s). Only restriction is it must be near where I live due to logistics. If you have a place to set up cameras, switching gear, and other video recording stuff, let’s figure something out. Weekends and Friday afternoons work best. I can’t do it right now because I’m getting prepared for a 4-band festival on June 24th and have to train 4 new people.

Just a reminder to everyone that the deadline for submitting entries is July 22nd, which leaves anyone planning to participate in the contest with just under a month to create and submit their tutorials. This sounds like a reasonably long time, but it does fly by (believe me…), so don’t wait.

I’m UBER psyched about the response to the contest so far, there’s plenty of great talent to be seen throughout the entries, and I’m debatably even more excited about what this last month has in store. Good luck to all the participants; along with competing for some epic prizes, you’re also doing a great service to the community.

Just one week left to submit your entries, everyone! Deadline’s the 22nd. It’s the last sprint to the finish line, and it’s been a great race. Everyone put in a lot of effort into their videos, and plenty of them really wowed me. Good luck to all participants; thanks for being a part of this project to help the community.

>>>Rethinkyoyo Tutorial Contest Results<<<

The winners of the Rethinkyoyo Tutorial Contest have just been announced on the front page of the Rethinkyoyo website. I am so pleased with how the contest turned out in the end. There were even so many great entries that a 4th place prize was added! Along with seeing the winners, you can also check out some extra tutorials that I felt were deserving of special recognition on the website.

Congratulations to all the winners and thank you ALL for participating! You guys made the contest the huge success that it was.