Restarts

I agree, I’ve never really had a problem recently with my snap starts. I think I’m okay, but this is an interesting topic!

Actually, I’ve always found that using fingers gives a smoother spin then using the thumb.
I think it all depends on what method you actually use.  If you get used to one way, and then switch, it will inevitably be wobbly.

The thing about snap starts is that they are much harder to get fast.  Even if you snap right into mount, you will have to let gravity do the work, and that is rather slow.  With a push start(or thumb start), you control the speed.  You push the yoyo and then pull the yoyo.  If you want to see a good push start -

Bottom line - pros use push starts because they are faster.

3A players on the other hand might use snap starts because they are much easier.

Yup, that’s the prototypical push start the pros tend to use. I see what you mean about controlling it rather than letting gravity do its thing.

I’m never going pro, but I like having new tools… maybe I’mma work on that kind of push start a bit. :wink:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyj47IYAYjk

I found this video in another thread, I only use snap starts because they only take one hand (no need to hole the string) and they spin the yoyo the right way.

“Learn to snap start first”

Dangit.

The Gary Li one is fun as heck, but it’s very rare that I get a tight bind out of it. Just enough to throw down again to do a proper “reset” bind.

I personally like the snap start the best. I have a pretty solid snap start, because it’s the only one I’ve practiced for the last 3 years. I can get a small/medium length trick done with one of my snap starts. I just don’t like the way the pull start looks.

Snap starts are little bit more risky than push starts and you don’t want anything risky on stage, when you don’t get points for it. When you mess up and need to restart, you suddenly became super nervous and you need just simplest way how to get back running.

Mickey at 0:52

at the moment, when nervous I’d be better off with a snap start because I do them about a zillion times a day for the past 2 years. :wink: I’ve done a push start like maybe 30 times ever.

me three

I think we all see what’s happening here. The people who do snap starts are saying the exact same thing the people who do push starts are. We are all saying it’s easier, faster, safer, etc. for snap starts AND push starts depending on which one we do :wink:

So… DOES ANYONE DO BOTH REGULARLY?

When you watch any top contest in the world, top players use push start. Do you think it’s because they can’t do snap start or just because after years of competing, they found out push start is best way to restart?

Maybe it would be better to judge things by what best in the game do, not by people on forums.

No, I think you’re missing andy’s question-- and the answer is: the pros do BOTH regularly (both are equally easy for them) and the push start is the pro choice because it’s faster (per stuart’s earlier comment) and possibly less fiddly with nerves.

Whether numpties like me are better at snap starts is irrelevant and just a matter of conversation.

I’ll be the first to admit that if I were a pro competitor I would probably ramp up my push start game.

2 Likes

I think the real point of this thread is magically giving basepi the ability to snap start.

Get on that, will ya?

Abracadoobie…

That work?

1 Like

Push or thumb starts are the way to go on stage. They’re roughly equal in effectiveness - Most players just go with whichever they prefer.

Snap starts, while useful off stage, are not the kind of restart you want to do on stage. They take longer to get into, can’t really be reliably done with gloves, there are more steps to fail on, especially when nervous, and are way easier to not get a good spin on. By restarting the yoyo you’ve already earned 1 MD, and a messed up snap start is only going to double that. There is simply too much margin for error.

There is also the fact that snap starts put you into a front style bind, where as push starts put you in a side style bind. Most people are far more comfortable doing side style binds and will get tighter, more consistent binds with them.

Also, as the competitive yoyo tends towards a V shape, snap starts become more difficult as you don’t have flat rims to comfortable snap, where are V shaped yoyos are not any more difficult to push start off of.

1 Like

Where can you learn the thumb method?

On this website lol

From earlier in the thread, this is the thumb version of a push start.

Wait, I’m confusing myself. When I posted what I said I was mistaken, I do push starts, I rarely do snap starts. I don’t think I’ve really ever done a snap start… Oops. I must have been wayy out of it that day.

::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: