Restarts

It’s when you put the dead yoyo on the string and wind it up the string. You see Anthony Rojas do it a lot in his Nats Freestyle. It’s like the engineer wind up for fixed axle play

Oops, double post. I’ll just answer BPG’s question with this

If you’re not good at them.

Same deal with snap starts though

I thought it was this

snapstarts are perfectly consistent if you know how to do them well.

Oh. I guess I misunderstood many things I have learned

Most experienced yoyoers will use thumb starts onstage even if they are exceptionally good at snap starts not only because they’re quicker, but also because there’s less to mess up, particularly in panic mode. No need to get the yoyo situated in your hand just right. Just grab the string anywhere and pull, the yoyo is forced into place.

Nowadays competitors use two fingers not just there thumb

Of course they don’t use there thumb they use their thumb.

I know you are kidding because everybody is deemed to make mistakes sometimes lol. I have noticed this also when I have gone to contests. Many people suck at restarting their yoyo and I do not understand why. It took me a couple of weeks to become a master at snap starting my yoyo and I can do it with no difficulties and it takes me maybe a couple of seconds, but the pros mess it up sometimes and end up complicating their lives by making this complicated restarts, but that is just my observation.

Me, too. Snap starts are second nature here.

Yep, this is what I was referring to. Usually use two fingers.

Really I just haven’t had the patience yet to learn to snap start, so much wobble and not enough RPMs. It’s on my list…

Jealous.

Honestly basepi it doesnt matter how much wobble you have on your snap as long as it doesnt turn and you have about 2-3 revs per sec. I plan on making a tutorial on snapstarts because they are so awesome and lots of people have trouble learning them.

I look forward to it!

[quote=“stuarttw,post:28,topic:67140”]
Depends on the yoyoer. Many find thumb starts a better guarantee of straight spin because the thumb is centered in the gap of the yoyo—using two fingers can present problems because they’re not centered and usually not the same length, so they’ll release at different times, causing dubstep spin. I haven’t noticed any chronological trend in usage.

I don’t know what you mean by “they’re not centered.” What you do is you put pointer on the right of the string and middle finger on the left. This type of restart is stronger than a thumb start.

He means that your fingers are of different lengths, so they’ll lose contact with the yoyo at different times or that the yoyo will be sent off at an angle if they lose contact with the yoyo at the same time.

I agree with both of you-- the spin doesn’t end up being smooth and symmetrical when using the fingers; however, I find it easier to get a strong spin with the fingers and when you’re restarting, a bit of power is more important than a bit of wobble.

If you’re using the thumb and can get a strong enough spin, though, there’s no compelling reason to switch. There’s a certain level at which “strong enough” is strong enough… and I’ve seen the thumb technique produce way better spin than my shoddy finger technique.

Thumb technique user here. It’s more comfortable for me, and that’s the way I’ve learned to do it. I’ve never even tried to push start. If I can easily get the yoyo back spinning 2-3 revs a second then I can easily bind it. I generally do a regen from the bind and then I have plenty of spin and can go into my tricks that way.

That’s actually why I brought up the thread. If you have a weak restart on stage one or another thing will happen: 1) It takes just a bit longer than a strong one, or 2) you have to re-restart it because you didn’t have enough spin to bring it back, resulting in another major deduction.