A Few Starts

Made this for another thread, but might as well leave it in the video section, too. Not looking for feedback or anything, it’s just a quick video one or two people might enjoy on some level. :wink:

(http://youtu.be/Sqg1IH1BmTI)

2 Likes

I do the hand start but I catch it and do a little twirl.

Andy569 does the same one in his tutorial videos.

I never do the hand start, so mine is basic at best. :wink: I love the way the pros do it, which I assume is pretty similar to what you and Andy569 do. Maybe I should devote a bit of time to it. :wink:

It’s relatively easy to learn if we are talking about the same thing haha.

Niceeeee, you got a really nice snap start haha

That restart (what i like to call a “push” start because it’s title is so apt), is the way competitors (like myself) do it.

You are really consistent with your starts. I typically go with snap starts because i feel like it gives me better control of the yoyo instead of the push start where it flies outward and if i mess up might hit something. Does anyone snap start with their NTH?

I’ve tried to. It hurts. I used to snap start all the time but it takes one second longer than i’d like so i do a regular restart now.

Darn, I knew I forgot one! It’s a NTH snap start that you might dig. Easy enough to describe in words:

1. Hold the dead yoyo in the NTH
  2. Do a “plastic whip” onto the dead yoyo
  3. Snap the dead yoyo
  4. Swing forward and release the plastic whip from the TH for the bind!

stuarttw: yup, the pros almost invariably do the push start. I just can’t do it in that really clean way they do it. Need practice!

Good stuff, Greg! I’d completely forgotten about the Gary Li snap start.

Yuki

I always try to do variations that are similar but i never get enough spin for the string to grab. I typically snap start, bind, regen, and then bind again

I can hardly even get enough spin with my NTH to do it even with the regen way, so you’re ahead of me!

I’ve seen Nick Gumlaw snap start the schnutz out of the “dead plastic whip” method. NTH snap is his main snap, so it’s much stronger.

I dont know if its because im a lefty, but i cant do TH snap starts but NTH snap starts im perfectly fine with

Do you set up any special lighting for filming or is you house just amazingly lit?

Thanks for the handy video! I really need to try some of those.
I hand start mine like it’s responsive and then bind. Which is very inconvenient, especially when I don’t have a lot of room since it goes flying to the end of the string.

I have to set up special lighting for nighttime filming. Since this was just a quick one, what I did is take 4 of these:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/pict/251469058296_1.jpg

Filled each one with a 100-watt (equivalent) compact fluorescent bulb, plugged em into a power bar, and dangled them from the tripod, just below the camera.

I have another set of 4 of those ballast thingies but I didn’t bother rigging it up. With the one set, I was still able to film at ISO 800 which is relatively grain-free. Good 'nuff for rock and roll at least!

Thanks for the comment!

[quote=“GregP,post:1,topic:65162”]
Made this for another thread, but might as well leave it in the video section, too. Not looking for feedback or anything, it’s just a quick video one or two people might enjoy on some level. :wink:

I watch your vid, I worked at, I learned. Thank you!

Man you’re good at restarts! That last one was off the hook…

1 Like