Responsive yoyo recommendation that fit my needs. (To groove tricks I already learnt and practice making it smoother)

The hummingbird is just amazing. Crazy stable, fast if you want it to be, and long spinning. Simple but beautiful design. I really like mine:)

3 Likes

Thanks for making my decision-making process even harder, @SirDarverok :smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad you found my other thread helpful as well CC!

I am definitely not lightyears away! Only 2 weeks away!
My Dove got delivered on 31st october, and thatā€™s when I really started.
I keep looking at other peopleā€™s videos thinking I want to give up as it seems so beyond me, but itā€™s weird after a trick clicks with you, previous tricks become easier.
I spent hours just trying to do the trapeze, and the (not sure what itā€™s called under trapeze? revese?) the one when you do it on the bottom of the string to go into the bind.

Now it is just natural and it happens.

Double or nothing was like :fearful: now I rarely miss.

And itā€™s not because I practice those for hours (I did :sweat_smile: but not any more) itā€™s for example you end up doing hundreds of trapeze and the bind thing, just to learn any tricks, double or nothing you end up doing over an over again when practicing say for example cold fusion, so after a while the previous tricks become automatic, and when they do, your new tricks become that much easier.

And again itā€™s only been 2 weeks for me!
(That wasnā€™t a brag, itā€™s just 2 weeks ago i felt hopeless too, so I want you to also know that 2 weeks is all it takes to get to my level, although I still think I am super rubbish, you described it as lightyears :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thank you)

I work long hours and with 2 kids at home and a wife to please, I donā€™t get much time either. But I must confess I have been up until 3~4am every day for the last 2 weeks practicing while I have both tutorial videos and this forum up on my desktop.

For me I decided that at my skill level, I wonā€™t appreciate any additional benefitsof an expensive bimetal, so I put that same money into buying a good mono (VTWO) and a plastic (Dove)ā€¦(andā€¦nowā€¦a Ti-Vayder and a responsive Neoā€¦)
And saved bimetals for later as itā€™s always good to have something new to look forward to.
I havenā€™t really set a target yet, but soon I am going to set a clear target that I want to reach and when I do, I will treat myself to a bimetal and relive that brand new yoyo feeling again at a level that you can only get when you get a truly new product.

2 Likes

Welcome, ChefCombo!

Bimetal describes yoyos that have the body made of one metal (usually an aluminum alloy 6061, 7075, or 7068) and a heavier, denser metal (usually stainless steel) somewhere near the rims. This allows for weight distribution with more weight near the rims compared to the center of the yoyo. So, slightly longer spin times, a little more stable. That said, I donā€™t believe any bi-metal has been used to win a world championship. They are fun, but, for an old guy like me, definitely not needed.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t Evan win 2019 with an Edge Beyond?
(Not picking a fight, just saying)

But at the same time my all time favourite video to watch so far is Gentry Stein winning the 2015 Nationals with a plastic yoyo.

2 Likes

Well, in 2019 Gentry won, but in 2018 I guess Evan was using an Edge Beyond(or a prototype, Iā€™m not sure)

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement :grinning: Double or nothing is killing me right now, ha!

2 Likes

Ah my mistake. :slight_smile:

I actually know very little about the pro/comp yoyo scene.
But I have been watching a lot of 1a videos from various competitions and getting wowed!

1 Like

I practiced The Matrix quite a lot and that helped me with Double or nothing.

Also found rewind super helpful too. But I still canā€™t do the doubleā€™s brother after double or nothing for that trick yet

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing yoyo for years, I am comfortable as describing my skill as ā€œmediocreā€. But, Iā€™m a strong believer in playing to have fun, not stressing about imaginary plateaus to hit in self imposed deadlines. Until yoyo starts making my mortgage payments, it is nothing to stress about :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good catch. I tend not to jump right to thinking someone is picking a fight. I missed that (which is a surprise to me as I know the routine and music and was amazed by his choice).

I stand corrected.

2 Likes

Itā€™s seeing my improvements and impressing my wife (in my mind, the reality is she is so bored of me asking to check out the latest trick) that is fun for me.

Just being able to land that new trick or combo, and seeing my progression that is super fun for me at the moment.

So while Iā€™m not trying to stress about getting good, getting good for me is the fun part.

Oh and my 1 year old son is super impressed with my tricks even though he sees it for the 100th time, so I have that going for me which is nice. (my 4 year old daughter tells me that ā€œdaddy you already showed me that oneā€)

3 Likes

I loved the bit where it looks like he is just playing the guitar and as if he is doing a guitar solo on his knees! (But Iā€™m sure that was the whole point)

Thanks for the insight, @French! My skill level and price point will likely keep me away for awhile, but like @MoonageMin said, thereā€™s always something to look forward to.

2 Likes

I have adopted the same philosophy pretty much.

My favorite tricks are the ones I see that are fairly easy, but I never tried itā€¦ I have this experience with a lot of Mr Yo you throwers tutorials i.e. 1 take tutorialsā€¦

I like yo-yoing but donā€™t like it to consume too much time, or stress at all about it.

2 Likes