Responsive play - which is best ? arrow elite or wedge?

Hi,

ARROW ELITE vs WEDGE ?
(both from YoYoFactory)

I have now 4 Arrows, and was wandering if the Wedge could bring me more pleasure ?
(I play no binds, love tug return very responsive play & a max of spinning time)
Tried metal yoyo’s, they hurt my hand, no pleasure)

1 Like

Probably not they would all play the similar enough if your using them as responsive yoyos. if you like responsive yoyos I find the YYE snapbacks to be a great responsive yoyo.

5 Likes

The Wedge is big and bulky. The Arrow is probably going to be more comfortable in the hand. They will both spin pretty much the same amount of time, though I don’t really know how the Wedge will behave in responsive form since it’s not really designed for that.

1 Like

Thanks
I’m asking because I’m really spending now too much money on ordering and trying responsive yo-yo’s from all corners of the world, then giving them away or binning them ….
Plus with very high shipping rates because living in Switzerland, where there is almost no yo-yo stores or local websites.

After reading a lot, seems the Arrow Elite from YoYoFactory is the high end on responsive yo-yo’s (except maybe the Titanium Confusion Yo-yo from YoYoFactory ?

A lot of yo-yos can be made responsive simply by siliconing the recess real thick, or swapping the wide/standard bearing for a narrow one. I’d experiment with different plastics, see which one is most comfortable, etc and how responsive it is with a narrow bearing. I have one that one of my FHs came with for comparison

1 Like

I think the shooting star and the responsive speedaholic is worth checking out. My favorite responsive is the Duncan freehand one.

3 Likes

RBC (if you can find one)
buy once, cry once.

enjoy the throw my friends
kgb

5 Likes

I’ll agree with the rbc but add the weekender as a close second followed by the el mijo.

2 Likes

I would NOT agree with this statement.

6 Likes

Forgot about the small bearing speedaholic, forget what I said that’s gotta be one of better modern plastic responsives out right now I’d just get one of those lol

4 Likes

There’s a small bearing speedaholic? Like a d bearing? Or like a thin bearing?

2 Likes

Mr. Lee,

Responsive is a really general statement.

There are Fixed Axel Yoyos (Responsive) - This style is referred to as 0A
There are Bearing Yoyos (Responsive) - That are geared for 1A - Your Arrow is an example of this.
Then there is Modern Responsive Yoyos - This type of yoyo falls between 0A and 1A. Some lean more or less to one side or the other.

Some of the comments of peoples recommendations “may” be summarized in this Thread; Mondern Responsive

The Modern Responsive Yoyos are designed to be Responsive. However, there are a lot of Unresponsive yoyos that can be made responsive as mentioned above. Simply changing the Bearing from a standard bearing to a “Half Spec” bearing can help. But depending on the design of the yoyo it is not always that easy. You may need a shorter axle, shims, or both.

Have you defined which Yoyo shape you prefer?

If you enjoy the Arrow; My current Yoyo that I play over the Arrow is a Luftverk Hybrid Fulvia. I changed the Bearing in it from full size to the Half Spec and put some thick lube in the bearing.

Have Fun.

5 Likes

Yeah there’s two colors that come with a half spec C bearing instead of the fullsize C. Here’s a sick video of it being used. The white one being used by Naoto Okada is responsive in this video.

4 Likes

Thanks for your very informative reply.

Tried Luftverk the “Plastic Fulvia”also ,
but binned it the same day with some rage !!
Not only because the shipping rates doubled the final price ,
but also because it was not working at all !!
!
…maybe a bad batch , was really angry.

(tried everything to fix it before binning , different narrow bearings, different strings sizes, etc…)

1 Like

For responsive play they have a narrow bearing, or “size C half spec” (R188-3.175mm) , but the specs shows only the large C….
Anyway, feeling to order one of these Speedaholics XX….

1 Like

This is the only website I found where you have a legit explanation of the sizes , including the bearings , for the “new Speedaholic XX Responsive” ….

1 Like

That should work for you.

I would assume; If it is labeled “Responsive” it will have the 1/2 C bearing. Could be a typo on the site.

2 Likes

Thanks,

By the way, about Response Pads for Responsive yo-yo’s…

It’s still not very comprehensive …

Apparently most of “responsive modern” yo-yo’s have the same “thickness” pads than the unresponsive.
19mm “Slim Pads”
(19mm outer diameter, 14mm inner diameter, thickness 1mm)

Some yo-yo’s like the Arrow Elite,
they have Thicker Pads.
I see that they slightly protrude (maybe thickness is 1,5mm ?)
(I don’t want to rip away the perfect fat pads of my Arrow Elite to measure it with a Kaliper, as I do not have extra…)

Because I live in Switzerland, it is very expensive to order these “thicker” response pads in the U.S. for Responsive yo-yo’s (10-12 USD shipping fees !!)

(On Chinese Websites where shipping fees are low, and bulk pads prices low, they only have “Slim Pads”)

So came to me the idea of DIY, but I want consistency.

Creating a non sticky mold of the (14mm x 19mm x 1,5mm) to fill with flowable silicone ?

Or more simply, buy bulk regular Toric Silicon joints, size 14x19x2,5mm,
Then “dig” on the yo-yo inner ring some more “depth space” with my Dremel (around 1mm deeper) ?
So when I glue the Regular Silicon Joint on the yo-yo, it perfectly protrudes by 0,5mm

Or a way to flatten the “Regular Toric Silicon joints from 2,5mm thickness to the correct 1,5 mm thickness ?

Do you have any Idea which is the best, or are there other CONSISTENT methods ?

(I saw vids on how to easy create with flowable silicone , using the credit card on the yo-yo to not make it protrude, so it applies only to Unresponsive .)

(Sometimes I don’t like being “stuck” with overpriced CONSUMABLES (like ink cartridges, etc….)

I know my questions are naive as a beginner, but with ADHD, sometimes I loose the yo-yo pleasure because wanting to find solutions for everything

Kind Regards
Lee
(sorry for the written English quality , I normally speak French)

2 Likes

This seems like not the way to get the response you want. Maybe just try thicker strings.

2 Likes

This is wrong you can use sili on responsive yo-yos also. The pads sticking out isn’t what makes it responsive, the gap width and lube in the bearing is what makes a good responsive Yoyo, responsive.

1 Like