Response pads

Hey, I recently bought a WA shutter. It comes with blue pads, which slow downs the yoyo a lot…any recommedations of pads that have a good bind but are not grippy like that?

1 Like

Why do you think the pads slow down the yoyo a lot?

1 Like

Based on the store descriptions, the pink/yellow, white, or red YYF pads would suit your needs.

1 Like

I don’t get what you mean by the pads slowing down the spin of the throw. Are they sticking out at all?

The blue ones are flush with the response area like any other slim 19mm pad would be. So you honestly probably aren’t going to be seeing much gains by swapping them out.

As far as im concerned the blue ones are grippy. When I do speed combos(im not that fast, been playing for 1.5months) the yoyo slows down. With a N12 doesnt happen.

1 Like

I’ve heared that they are way more grippy. For example, with an n12 i dont have this problem. When i do techy tricks or speed combos it slows down

I’ll try them.

I’m pretty sure you can find those same MYY pads on Amazon since you know you like them.

1 Like

I have the blue pads on my Canon and I have not experienced this. Your technique/skill is most likely the issue, no offense.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve playing for 1.5 months. But with other yoyos( a N12, for example) I experience no slowdowns. I’ve seen ppl facing this issue too. Whats more I use T10 string, so maybe thats the problem. Thanks anyways!

Honestly ive never heard of anybody mentioning response pads slowing down a yoyo unless they stick out beyond the response. Perhaps your yoyo is defective or the person that put the pads in didnt push them in enough?

Different yoyos perform differently. Some just arent inherently as good with multiple string wraps as others, but with only 1.5 months of experience this should not be something you should equate to hardware issues. Seems more of a yoyo pro level of tuning, but hell, you can try other response pads if you like since they arent that expensive. Are you sure that you are playing with the Shutter as clean? The width of the Shutter WA is 4mm wider (significant), so it probably isnt quite as stable as the N12. Wider yoyos can be harder to keep up with spin time in my experience if you arent accurate in trick execution.

2 Likes

Gap width is different between the two yoyos:

• Shutter WA: 4.55mm
  • N12: 4.62mm

That seems like a pretty small difference, and not one that I would expect to produce a significant difference in bind performance. But you never know; it could be a contributing factor.

2 Likes

Thats what I’m thinking about. Maybe it is good to have less grippy pads on a tight gap and gripper ones on a wider gap. Ill try different ones anyways. Thanks!

I would highly recommend the YoYoFactory Yellow Pads - they tend to be one of the most popular pads people purchase from us - they break in fast and are really popular for contest, etc.

The natural tend to be 2nd most popular - they probably have a slightly longer overall life span too which is nice. :blush:

7 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely will try those out:)

I don’t think your response pads are causing this, more likely is string friction from having a lot of wraps or pushing/pulling the yoyo off plane. You can try changing the pads, but more likely you just need to keep practicing. You’ve only been going for 1.5 months, you’ll get there!

2 Likes

Also I’d try slimmer string if you’re using fat.

1 Like

I’m using MYY string(counted the threads and its 10 threads haha)…maybe its a bit fat

I can endorse Mouse Pads with Airetics.