Reptile owners?

I want to see your snakes! I love the burmese python but I don’t think big snakes are for me.

2 Likes

@AngryGumball

2 Likes

Thought I’d share this.

Not a snake, but I found this in work on Wednesday while I was digging holes for fence posts

It’s a slow worm. Never seen one in my whole life and on Wednesday I found 3 in the space of half an hour. Digging holes was made fun by these fellas!

6 Likes

Here’s Slink, my baby ball python (otherwise known as a “noodle ball”). She’s about 5 months or so (I’ve had her for 4), super chill, likes chin rubs (she doesn’t tuck her head back when I come in contact with it). She’s a very curious snek, pretty impressed with her climbing skills :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Wow! Don’t they get super big?

1 Like

About 3-5 feet, depending on gender (females get longer/not as fat). They do get fat though for their size but not terribly big. Much smaller than a burmese or retic.

3 Likes

This is George, he is kind like a snake with stumpy legs.

7 Likes

She has gotten big!

1 Like

lol there’s something really cute and endearing about calling him such a simple/common name :slight_smile:

Haha full name is George Wilson, he was always huffy and puffy growing up, so he got the grumpy neighbor name.

2 Likes

Yea, been noticing her girth getting thicker. When I first got her, she was about as thick as one of my fingers at her widest point…now, she’s surpassed that. Noticing her beginning to outgrow the current batch of mice I have, will be upgrading her meal size on my next run to get her frozen rodents :slight_smile:

This was her when I first got her, had handled her briefly before taking her home. I wanted to do a side-by-side in 1 post for comparison.
Snek 1

7 Likes

That is awesome. Is she cool with getting picked up and held? I’m curious as I’ve only experienced snakes in the wild, and neither the snake nor I was interested in any physical interaction:)

She’s totally ok with me handling her, has never struck or hissed at me. Being in a tight ball is their primary sign of defense which is rare for her to do. Most of the time when I pull her out, she’s loosened up from her ball defense and is already in explore mode. Not head shy either (when they quickly yank their head back in the event of something coming into contact, chin rubs, or a boop.

I heard it’s uncommon for pythons and boas to bite but it does happen.

1 Like

Mine did strike at her feeding container a couple weeks ago…not out of aggression though, the moment I move her from her tank into her small plastic tub, she instantly flips to “feed mode”. It’s up for debate whether if feeding them in a separate container is effective but I’d rather not take the chance of an accidental nip when pulling her from her normal enclosure. Some ball pythons can be snippy though.

Here’s a clip I watched a while back of a bunch of hatchlings snapping back and forth at each other…snake chain reaction.

4 Likes

Is that one of those big blue tongued skinks?

That it is

1 Like

6 Likes

Thats a pretty boa

1 Like

There was a time I had several snakes. I had a boa, a ball python, corn snake and my brother had a reticulated python and a boa. Of course as a kid I had captured many snakes such as bull and garter, (even had a small rattle snake before my dad discovered it lol) as well as water snakes and hog nosed. We had snakes!

The more exotic snakes were due to the fact that my mother ran a pet shop.

1 Like