Renaming the trick - Suicide

So ive seen this a few times where people call the trick suicide something different. And ive seen G2 call it a few different things, but i havent seen anything that really catches the feeling correctly.

Is this something that is important to people?
If it is i would like to suggest the name- Leap of faith

Anyone have a good idea what to rename this trick?

6 Likes

I like what yotricks did calling it a SLACKACIDE.
Iā€™ve felt it was inappropriate or at least insensitive to name it a suicide toss from when first i learned about the element. My vote is continue with slackacideā€¦ if you drop you killed the slackā€¦ it works.

13 Likes

I like it

2 Likes

Well the trick referred to Jamaican flag, I grew up along with my friends calling it Confederate flag. I still refer to it as Confederate flag because Iā€™m not a sensitive snowflake. And if someone wants to call me out on it, Iā€™m happy to give you a history lesson on the American civil war. No need to rename a yoyo trickā€¦

4 Likes

Never in my life have I heard of it referred to as the confederate flag. Probably because Iā€™m not american. I donā€™t think it was ever renamed. Just depends on who teaches you it / where you are in the world when you learn it I guess. Iā€™ve had friends call it the Scottish flag too. But Iā€™ve known it as the Jamaican flag since someone taught me it at school during the 90s boom. I know the trick is older than that but I figure who cares Its a boring trick anyway.

Anyway back on topic, I like Slackacide also but it still has like ā€œacideā€ in it. so its still kinda referring to the name suicide. I donā€™t mind it but if the idea is to move away from the original name then maybe its not far enough?
Been trying to think of something short but havenā€™t come up with anything. I think if the new name is longer it wont catch on as much. Like how the tornado bind got changed to DNA

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of flag out there with similar design, I guess it depends on what country youā€™re in or closest to when you learn it. Now personally Iā€™m fine with calling the trick suicide still, but a suggestion I could make for a name substitute would be ā€˜safety netā€™ like what trapeze artist use while practicing. Since youā€™re going from a side mount and a swing over(like a trapeze), safety net could work.

1 Like

What about ā€œThreading the Needleā€?

3 Likes

This discussion is a little late. Iā€™d say itā€™s already been firmly renamed to slackicide. As mentioned above yoyo trick names are just whatever people learn them as, and Iā€™d say the vast majority of yoyo players now are learning through the yotricks youtube tutorials. So their terminology is definitely going to be the most commonly used by the newer generations of yoyo players.

Canā€™t say Iā€™m crazy about the name, but I understand the change. I wouldā€™ve preferred something boring and generic, yet self-explanatory, like ā€œslack catchā€ lol.

3 Likes

Either way this trick renaming will only be localized to this group, hence it seems like a futile effortā€“kind of like the Jamaican flag example from earlier in the thread. Different groups will propagate the trick with different names, in the end it makes no sense to confuse new players with one trick having a bunch of regional variances.

I personally like the name since it falls in line with the punk roots of throwing from the early 2000ā€™s.

4 Likes

I think the name is fine and shouldnā€™t be changed. A very famous basketball workout is called suicides. A big movie called suicide squad came out fairly recently. I ate some suicide wings the other night. Im sure more things have the name suicide that people dont think twice about.

5 Likes

How hot were the wings on a 1-10 scale?

1 Like

6.5 but the damage to my body was 9/10

5 Likes

I think that would be a better name for chopsticks.

Speaking of which, letā€™s talk about how racially insensitive that trick is. My catā€™s grandfather is Japanese and he hisses anytime I do a c-stick trick variant, I think itā€™s affecting his well being and I do not want to trigger him during my throw sessions.

do you by chance own an a-rt inhaler?

jokes

2 Likes

Well nothing is going to change if no one changes what they call it. But over time it will take over

1 Like

Howā€™d you know :wink:

1 Like

Can you give a comparison to the Blazin wings at Buffalo Wild Wings if you have tried them? Also, where could someone acquire these ā€œSuicide Wingsā€ ?

As for renaming the trick, I donā€™t think there is a major need too. Slackicide does have a nice ring to it though, and if YoTricks Is popularizing that name it will take over. I have nothing against a name change, but Iā€™ll most likely always remember it as suicide. It also still shows up as Suicide on the YYE trick list that they send out with their orders.

1 Like

Suicide doors, suicide shifter, Really the only person who has a say in renaming a trick is the inventor and even then if itā€™s in the nomenclature its too late.

1 Like

thats a shame and why this stuff sucks.

1 Like

This is such a strange dumpster fire thread. Iā€™m genuinely surprised to see this kind of discussion surrounding this. Demonstrators felt weird going to elementary school age kids and having to say phrases like ā€œIā€™m going to teach you how to do the suicide.ā€ People like Tyler from Recess have stated they like having a new name for this trick.

Acting like that isnā€™t at least a slightly strange phrase is just silly, I feel like youā€™re all well aware how odd that phrase is even within the context of yoyoing. I donā€™t think anybody was is offended by a trick being named suicide, but it seems like people are legitimately offended by the idea of people using a different name for it.

Itā€™s not that big of a deal, several tricks have already been renamed by tiktok and younger generations. If you donā€™t like the new name, you donā€™t have to use it. Thereā€™s no yoyo police mandating you have to say slackicide instead of suicide.

30 Likes