Remove one silicone response pad to reduce responsiveness?

So I have a Peak 2. A very responsive Peak 2. *Very. I’ve cleaned the bearing, tried all manner of string, and it’s still *way too much. So now I’m thinking I should just take a snow tire off, but before I do I wanted to ask y’all: Is removing a response pad on a (supposedly) unresponsive a good idea?

2 Likes

Swap the bearing with another yo-yo first and see if that helps.

3 Likes

string thickness

3 Likes

Removing one pad can make the response a little unpredictable because you have a response pad on one side and a void on the other. You may find you have some slippery binds and other times when it grabs on a slack trick. Since it’s not permanent, I’d say go ahead and try it. If it doesn’t work the way you want it, you should be able to put the snow tire back in as long as you don’t demolish it when you’re taking it out.

4 Likes

Ok, I’ll give it a try.

2 Likes

I might just need to get the thinnest string I can find. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Remove the bearing D
Man, that idea is smart, wait for ur update.

2 Likes

Do lots of regens until the pads wear down a bit.

5 Likes

Don’t do that. Wear those snow tires down.

3 Likes

Have you checked that the pads are seated correctly? Make sure they’re not sticking up at all. I think out of all the CLYW’s I’ve owned, I have had a few that had pads sticking up a little. That can make them act responsive. If it’s as responsive as you say it is, could be a pad. Or, as others have said, a bad bearing.

2 Likes

UPDATE: @codinghorror for the win! Swapped the Pixel out for a Buddha Whipple and… It’s fixed! Funny though, since it spun so freely, I really thought it was fine. Thanks everyone for the input!

3 Likes

Well, the Pixel is busted it seems. Only one place to put it now… The DV888 :rofl:

3 Likes

You could always buy thinner response pads I think Yoyo factory sells them

1 Like

I got it squared away, just needed a new bearing. Thanks for the tip though

1 Like